behavioral question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

muleskinner

Aquarium Advice Newbie
What are my mbuna doing when they flip up on there side and rub against stuff? These fish are fascinating.

good question. the first time i saw mine do it, it scared be to death because id heard that fish do that when they get ich... My auratus does it more than any of the others. It just almost does a slide on its side on the sand. Im interested as well in finding out why they do this

A couple reasons why is your fish could have gill flukes witch are tiny parasites that attach themselves to your fishes gills causing your fish irratation. Another reason might be too much ammonia in your tank causing irratation to their gills.

mine dont really "scratch" with their gills, they just kind of almost glance off the sand on their side, towards the back, almost like theyre trying to displace the sand. does that not seem normal for mbuna? ive heard other people say the same thing, just never seen reason why

Maybe they do it to somehow to maybe establish there territory. I know that sounds weird and i am just throwing out there because i know some animals do it to spread there scent on things and i know i am going off that with my knowledge of mammals. I just figured i would throw it out there even though i am sure it is not that. Maybe to show other fish it is there territory? Or maybe a breeding thing, who knows, because i don't.

Interesting, my Kenyi was doing that, and not eating. I was concerned that it was a parasite and took the right measures I guess (good noob), she's healthy and one of the most aggressive fish in my tank now lol

Yes they do it as a display behavior sometimes... mine do it and they are healthy as horses.

Back
Top Bottom