Being gifted babies :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

My toddlers tank

Aquarium Advice Activist
So a girlfriends moving because her hubby's being posted and her guppies and tetras are having babies like crazy, and she has evy intention of leaving me with the babies. I am very excited and thrilled that she would offer them to me :) tetras are one of my favs, I have always kept them but they have not breed for me :( I have never kept guppies at all.
I will be in the city tomorrow and I am going to pick up a baby home for my tank in case on moving day they are still to small.

But like I have mentioned I am new to babies and do not want to lose them. Any suggestions advice that anyone may feel would help us transition the babies to our modest 20g that at the moment home 3 ottos and about 7 tetras a mix between neon and glowlight.

End my scatterbrain excited baby rant lol

Happy Easter Weekend

Some maybe a month now, some were just discovered this week, I am Not exactly sure on the details, she was kinda vague when I was speaking to her.

Ok so this is a bit awhile now but yesterday we went and picked up 4 guppies that are so tiny from my girlfriend and her yr old neon tetra that was all on his own and he is now swimming with our neons. We have the babies in a net with a little snipping of the plant from her aquarium it is just floating in the net to give them a safe haven. I have rubbed the food to make it smaller to eat, how long should I expected the babies to take to grow before they can be safely added to our tank not to be supper or sucked up by the filter

How big is tiny? I think so long as they won't be food you could probably release them quite soon. I have fry in my tank (born and raised) and never had issue with them being sucked up in the filter. Do you have some cover for them? Some plants etc? They should be fine.

One might be big enough to survive outside the net if he is clever but I don't think the plant cover is thick enough for them, I spotted a tetra baby of my own over a month ago but I turned my back to get the baby net and the camera and haven't seen him since :( I count my tetras all the time to make sure I have them all and possibly a new one no such luck, the smallest you have to just watch for him for you eyes to focus I tried to take pictures but they came out blurry still :(

The flaked food has flakes bigger than the babies lol

For a while I was religiously saving all my Guppy babies. Currently I am up to at least 100 of them. I stopped saving them the last batch that came along and still have about 15 - 20 that survived in my display tank

Awe these are babies from my girlfriends guppies. I Have never had guppies before, my tetras produced a least one baby but he became sushi.
So yeah I am going to be a nerd and I am going to over react lol as she gets posted out in July so I want these one to get big and maybe breed I would love to have fish breed and then have the babies survive and get big enough to to become sushi I think that would be ultimate.

I am tickled pink with them, they are kinda my mothers day present even though I knew she was going to give me some long ago, and there is more if I want them, my mom trades the guppy babies for other fish at her LFS, I have to drive 2 hrs to get fish from here so I would love mine to breed on there own

If you really like the idea of breeding fish it might be a fun thing to look into breeding a strain of guppies. I am currently trying to get my hands on a few different types of guppies that will let me create my own strain. It is a little extreme to do that rather than buy an already established strain though.

You can start a complete guppy breeding operation from 1 male and female, and by selective inbreeding you can select for specific traits that you like. I am working on breeding a lyretail strain of my own actually.

Haha yes good luck with that for sure, If I have a male and a female in these 4 babies ill be tickled pink if they like each other enough to reproduce lol. I am not going to be picky at first but yep If i can successfully get babies from what I have then maybe ill feel confident to try what you suggested. People say guppies are easy to reproduce so fingers crossed.

Will you post pictures when you accomplish this so I can see please

Yesterday Lily (my 3 yr old) and I decided that maybe the female guppy baby was big enough to make her way into the tank and leave the safety of the breeding net as she is easily 3x the size of the other 3 babies she is housed with. So we got our little net and scooped her out and released her, this entertained us for the better part of an hour watching her enjoy her new found freedom.

We had some errands to run came home she was still happy as can be, we went out to the yard and pulled dandelions for awhile, came in we now had a hidden baby, figured she was tired and was hiding in our forest of wisteria or under the driftwood whatever for the next couple hours had the kids play where is the baby...

No luck so as we sat down for supper my almost 7 yr declares the tetras must have has a sushi snack so both kids did there sad oh's and we decided we would clean the filter before bed.

When I opened it up and pulled the media to put in the bucket of water that was ready for rinsing there was our baby swimming in the filter. Now I know this isn't uncommon as my mom found 5 guppy babies living in hers not long ago, but I really thought mine was to big to get sucked in. So we got her free put her back in the breeding net and she spazed out for a good three minutes zipping from one end of the net to the other and spinning circles like she was caught in a tornado it was nerve racking at the time but funny now that it is over.
When we turned the lights on this morning she was very still not so active, but after food she seemed to come around. We left her be today and I know you can use some pantyhose to cover the intake but I have never done this and was wondering the best way to go about this and if the intake was strong enough to suck her in once would she just become stuck to the outside of the panty hose or would this allow her to swim away?

Back
Top Bottom