Beneficial Bacteria Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dommo

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm probably going to be crucified for this hair brained idea, but here it goes.

My old man, is a waste water treatment chemist. So he basically runs a "Giant" acquarium of "bacteria". He has to keep the critters properly fed, the Ph balance correct, and of course the temperature. I was wondering, that given that the bacteria in a fish tank appear to function identically to those in a waste water treatment plant(and in all likelyhood they could be the same critters since they have to neutralize ALOT of ammonia from the urine of a few thousand people), would it be possible to stock a tank with bacteria with a small amount of "efluent(mostly treated sewage), thus possibly skipping the whole need for a "cycle" to grow the bacteria.

My dad at one point ran a waste water plant that had outdoor pools, and what was so interesting about was how life thrived near the treated sewage, where it was released back into the river. Basically the treated sewage having been aerated(to keep the aerobic bateria alive), full of organic matter(bacteria), and nutrients caused the fish populations to explode in the river. Essentially the stuff at the bottom of the food chain thrived, thereby causing everything else to do well. The sewage treatment plant actually looked a bit like a park as a matter of fact(we used to have chase of fisherman from sewage treatment plant grounds). Definitely interesting, as they used to have people complaining about the smell of the plant(which it actually didn't smell like ****, more like a swamp) until they came to the plant and saw the grounds and how well all the wildlife was doing because of the treated wastewater.

So, back to the topic. Has anyone ever tried to "culture" bacteria strains or go to an outside source to more quickly acquire bacteria to neutralize the ammonia? I'm also looking at possibly getting a fish tank(something small like 10-15 gallons), and was curious about this idea because if I could get a few fish and my tank and set them up it'd be much more convinient. Getting some treated sewage would be very easy, and infact I have the means to actually look at the bacteria and make sure they're the ones I'm after(my dad's got a microscope for observing the bacteria/nematodes etc.). Perhaps if I took like a 1/2 gallon of bacteria packed H2O, fed them some sugar(used to keep them alive when there isn't enough poop flowing into the plant for food), and mixed it with say the remaining water(say 9 gallons or so), let it sit overnight, then add the fish, there should already be enough bacteria to handle the ammonia load(as this treated sewage has ALOT of bacteria, I mean so much the water is actually clouded due to them).

However this is all theory, and I haven't had an aquarium since I was a kid(although that one did thrive, and we ended up having to move and gave to a friend, in fact all of our original livestock are still going strong over 10 years later due to breeding). This is just a nutty idea afterall.

Dommo - That's a very interesting idea. I have no idea whether or not it would work. Part of the problem would be identifying the correct beneficial bacteria that develops in our aquariums.

Well I think you have inherited your families IQ with these ideas. Extremely interesting and I would love to see the turn out if anyone actually goes through with it.

Dommo said:
Has anyone ever tried to "culture" bacteria strains or go to an outside source to more quickly acquire bacteria to neutralize the ammonia?

Culturing our own bacteria, like Purrbox mentioned, may be a bit tough since we'd have to find the right strains among all the ones found in the wastewater treatment vats, and then we'd have to be sure that they would function the same as in our aquarium. It would certainly be interesting, though, and if we had the proper equipment for such an experiment, it would be fun to try.

We can use as "outside sources" some filter media from an established tank when we set up a new tank. There are a few commercial products that are useful in quickly introducing the beneficial bacteria to a new tank. The products that I have experience with are Seachem Stability Aquarium Water Quality & Conditioners: Stability New Tank Stabilization Water Conditioner

and Marineland Bio-Spira (this is the SW version; there is a FW version also) Setting up a new aquarium: Ammonia Removal: Marineland BIO-Spira

We can also do "fishless cycling" by adding an ammonia source to the water and letting the beneficial bacteria develop over time (anywhere from 4-8 weeks). This method may be supplemented by some established media also. It may take a while; it isn't an "instant cycle" as some of the other products claim but it will eliminate fish deaths by building up the bacteria before fish are introduced.

Thanks for the compliment about my IQ :p. I'm a mechanical engineer by training(graduate next year) who moonlights with chemistry stuff(being volunteered by the old man as an assistant to help him with his senior projects for his degree).

The thing is, is that the fish and wildlife behaved just fine and actually thrived from the nutrients and bacteria that came from the treated sewage(this being a temperate michigan climate as opposed to a tropical climate like most fish tanks). This seems to indicate to me that these bacteria are possibly safe to put in a tank(i'd definitely do this with a bunch of el cheapo goldfish before trying with any fish of value.).

I also know that the organic solids that are skimmed off, are used as fertilizer by local farmers in the area(yes you may have eaten corn that was fertilized with treated human poop). This indicates to me that by and large, the treated stuff is pretty safe(plus with so much exposure to harmless bacteria you'll have an immune system comparable to the Navy Seals).

Perhaps I'll give this a whack sometime this summer and I'll see how it works(now I'm hopping from Mechanical Engineer to biologist) as I could probably have my dad help me acquire good samples that have been purged of any fecal coliforms. I could set up a few tanks with a bunch of goldfish, and study their survival rates in differeing tanks(bacteria laden, cycled, and distilled water).

The thing that intrigues me so much about the waste water stuff, is the sheer potential chemically and biologically. I mean seriously, bacteria can literally be grown so densley that you can "see" them(they cloud the water). Who knows maybe it might be possible to manipulate the bacteria in the tanks to produce certain chemicals, or do other interesting things. But for the purpose of this forum, it'd be awesome to be able to set up a tank and have it stocked with a ton of bacteria that are just starving for fish poop, so that n00bs like me don't have to wait for a month before getting a tank going because we've already got more than enough bacteria to support any fish(then it would be more an issue of how much treated sewage to use for a given size tank).

At the very least I'll talk to some biology faculty here on campus and ask them about this idea. Who knows, maybe some day you can stock an aquarium and have the bacteria to completely support it within 24hours without having to fear die offs.

Dommo, many of the world's "giant leaps" have grown from "hair-brained" ideas such as yours that question the norm and challenge it. You've got some really interesting theories there I think are definitely worth exploring.

The only thing I disagree with was your comment about Goldfish. I don't suppose you can test this theory of yours without fish? Do you have a way to identify the bacteria that grows in poop-waste under microscope and compare with an established aquarium?

I'd recommend dosing the aquarium with pure ammonia to start. This will allow you to determine whether or not the beneficial bacteria needed for our aquariums are present without risk to a fish. It would also allow for more controlled testing of the levels of bacteria if present. The next step would still probably be adding live fish and determining whether or not there was anything harmful to fish in the mix.

The benificial bacteria is all over nature, so if you can identify a source, you cna definitely use it. I remember reading in t KRIB someone's suggestion of getting a handful of dirt form your garden as the bacteria source .... that really isn't too far off from using treated waste water effurent.

The trick is getting the right bacteria. The ones we want are surface dweling ones that lives in the filter. Bacteria from the water column might not be suitable <they cloud the water for one>.... Water column bacteria is like the "heterotrophic bacteria" in Cycle, but that product had not been proven to work.

The scientists at MarineLab got the same hairbrained idea, and they are trying to make money on it with the product BioSpira. They did all sorts of fancy tests to identify exactly what bacteria were metabolizing ammonia and nitrite, then culture them and package them for sale. They took a long time analyzing things, with fancy techniques of microbilogy, because if type X bacteria flourishes in an environment where nitrification takes place, that does not mean that type X bacteria performs the nitrification.

But the nitrifying bacteria are all around us, and even survive in chlorinated tap water in small amounts. The handful of dirt trick is ages old, having been recommended in Dr. Axelrod's books that I read a long time ago. The best trick of all is to grab some media from someone with an established tank, thereby getting a source of bacteria that is known to be aquarium friendly.

When starting a tank without access to an established aquarium, you have a few choices. BioSpira, but I don't know how well that product has been doing over the years. Fishless cycle, a cool giant square test tube for a number of weeks. Low bioload approach, which requires enormous patience and restraint.

You probably have not heard of the low bioload approach, so my description of it is below:

Low Bio-load

The primary advantage is that with the low bioload approach, your tank looks more like a fish tank than a giant square test tube. However, you need to have very few fish, and wait weeks, and weeks, and weeks before you get up to your full stocking level. Not for the impatient or impulsive.

Back
Top Bottom