Benefits of CO2?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, I took everyone's advice and bought the GLA PRO-1 CO2 regulator with LED indicator light. I also purchased the Atomic 50 mm diffuser with the check valve. It also comes with 5 feet of tubing and the bubble counter I believe.

Now that I have this, what else do I need besides the tank? I did not get a drop checker because I was planning on doing only one bpm, which is think is safe no matter what for a 25 gallon tank? Is this correct thinking? Just trying to save a little money.

Also, I need a 2.5 pound tank. Any suggestions on what and where to get one? GLA did not offer one so I didn't buy from them.

For C02 tank, just google a welding place close to you, or a beverage supply place. They usually sell them. I googled it then called and asked around.

I got into a 5# tank swap at a local brewery supply, it's pretty sweet, no waiting. I bought a new 5 on amazon. Best deal I could find

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I purchased a 2.5 lb aluminum Sherwood tank, GLA Nano drop checker, and 4 oz. of 4dkH solution. I am now taking a break monetarily, and recovering from an expensive weekend.

Okay. So. Now that I have everything you guys want me to have, how long should I have the CO2 on per day?

You say this like it's a bad thing...

Okay. So. Now that I have everything you guys want me to have, how long should I have the CO2 on per day?

I must confess now I have CO2 I'll never go back (lol). Like chalk and cheese to the troubles I had before. From what I gather, most will start CO2 about an hour before lights on and CO2 off about half an hour before lights out. All depends on tank size and system I guess.

I must confess now I have CO2 I'll never go back (lol). Like chalk and cheese to the troubles I had before. From what I gather, most will start CO2 about an hour before lights on and CO2 off about half an hour before lights out. All depends on tank size and system I guess.

Thank you for the information. If I can also ask, why only keep the lights on for 7 hours? I figured people have their lights on for 10-11 hours. also I know you split that up, does that not mess with the fish to have the lights on for a few hours, then off for a few hours, and then on again?

7 hours has been determined to be the sweet spot, enough time for photosynthesis. Leaving them on too long is just inviting algae issues. I know i keep harping on algae. It just sucks so bad when you put so much time,effort and $$$$ into a tank and it goes to heck in a week.

I definitely don't want algae, I just feel like 7 hours is not much time to be on during the day. For example, if my lights go on at 9:00 AM, they will be off by 4:00 PM. So, I will never get to see them on essentially since I am out the door before 7:00 AM and I don't get home until 6:00 PM. In nature, the plants would have about 12 hours of light.

Aside from a potential algae bloom, are there any negative effects of having the lights on longer? Does it harm the plants?

My timer is set from 4pm until 10pm. Just set the timer for your schedule. Fish won't mind.. as long as they get 10 hours of darkness for all the sleeps.

Can't remeber if you bought a light already?? The finnex 247 will be on all the time so that would suit you, the currents have programmable schedules to I believe.

So you can still have light on, just not bright light on more than 7 hours, because obviously if your lights are on at 4:00 PM you have natural light coming into your house, or lights from fixtures?

I did buy a Current Satellite+ Pro. The first one came in and was obvious used, so I sent it back to get a brand new one. That may work out thought because the CO2 should be coming in at the same time. Not sure if I can program different lights settings at different times with the Current though.

I definitely don't want algae, I just feel like 7 hours is not much time to be on during the day. For example, if my lights go on at 9:00 AM, they will be off by 4:00 PM. So, I will never get to see them on essentially since I am out the door before 7:00 AM and I don't get home until 6:00 PM. In nature, the plants would have about 12 hours of light.

Aside from a potential algae bloom, are there any negative effects of having the lights on longer? Does it harm the plants?

I noticed some of my plants start to close up in last hour of my 8 hour photoperiod. In nature the types of plants we keep will probably have a longer photoperiod than this but the plants can adapt to external environmental cues and so they will 'learn' the patterns we offer them.

Here's something I wrote a bit back that may help when setting up your co2.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f24/do-i-have-enough-co2-a-closer-look-351974.html

The times I can aquarium gaze tend to be from 7am to 9 and then 6 or 7 pm until whenever I go to bed, but I'm around most of the day.

I've been experimenting with a very long moonlight period. I've actually been thinking about starting my own thread about it.

When I bought the Current Satellite LED+, one of the reasons I picked it was because I thought you could program a 24 hour schedule. You can't. You can program colors. That was pretty disappointing. The other less-than-perfect aspect is how huge the transformers are, so they're kind of hard to plug into timers.

Other than that, I love it. I *really* like the cloud cover settings.

Back
Top Bottom