Berried ghost shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BrackAttack

Aquarium Advice Activist
Dont know the species of the shrimp but i have heard ghost shrimp breed in brackish. I have noticed in the tank one shrimp had green in its head for a while and today the green has showed up under the shrimp and i realized they were eggs but never knew they started up by the head. I seperated the shrimp in a breeder box an its in my brackish tank. I want to attempt to get the larva to to survive any suggestions? Im going ti set up my 3 gallon to attempt this. I heard the larva go to salt water to grow.

Attachments

• image-325570407.jpg
    image-325570407.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 145
It's another type of shrimp that also goes by the name of ghost shrimp that needs brackish water for the larva. Your ghost shrimp and larva will be fine in freahwater. The female will carry the eggs for 20 to 30 days. They hatch before she lets them go. The larva are tiny and its hard to feed them for the frist 2 weeks until they become minatures versions of the adults. out of the 20 or so hatchlings i only usually get 1 that makes it to adult. I have tried feeding them infusoria with mixed results. Good luck

oh well mine are living in brackish. should i move them to fresh or keep them in brackish sg 1.005

From what I've read, they will survive in either and apparently, there are two ghosties that we would find available in our stores. One is true FW and one is brackish. Apparently, they acclimate well. But they will definitely spawn in FW.

The reason a lot of people think Ghosties need brackish to breed is because their young go through a larval stage. During this larval stage they must have infusoria and other micro fauna as a food source. They just float around the tank and if a tank has a very strong current and doesn't have a covered filter intake it is set up for failure. I think you should be able to raise them as long as you separate from the parents (for max survival rate, adults will pray on the young) and ensure you have a well established tank to raise the little ones in.

As i stated before the ones sold in stores are freshwater but do tolerate small amount of salt. I agree with everything Adadlins1 stated. Good luck

Many species of ghost shrimp young need brackish water to survive, just like amanos. Some species will hatch as shrimplets, just like RCS would, but some will be in a larvae stage that likely won't be able to mature properly in freshwater. Either way, there's no reason to move the berried shrimp from BW to FW.

Thanks everyone. I have set up a 3 gallon tank with sponge filter and a heater. I used water from the tank as not to shock the shrimp and im going to seed the filter tomorrow using the filter in tank in which she came. I really hope some survive.

A week before the eggs hatch the eggs become alittle clearer color and you will see little dots, their eyes. The babies will be hard to see when they detach and it maybe detaching for several days. They are attracted to light so if you put a light too one side they will be easier to see, usually many will be in the lower part of the tank on the side with the light.
Would love to have updates. Again i think the key is giving them food that is small enough for them to eat. If you still have over 10 alive after 3 weeks i will want to know your secrets lol
Good luck.

ajaguilar said:
BTW good thing you took her out of that breeder box because the larva are small enuff to leave it and i know my shrimp hated the box.

Yea the breeder box was only to separate her. I knew i would have time to put her in her tank. How long once they are berried do they hatch? A month seems so long. I havent seeded the filter yet but 1 shrimp has such a small bioload i think i should be ok until tonight if not longer.

Yeah she holds the eggs always at least 20 day and sometimes over a months, so you have a long wait, if your sure eggs first appear yesterday you can leave her in the main tank if you want another 3 weeks. Your right one small shrimp isn't much on a bio load.
BTW two of my shrimps are always berried, after they lets a batch of babies thet are berried again within a couple of days.. so you will have several chances. how many shrimp do you have? its good to have more than 6 to insure you have both male and females that are fertile.

BTW what are you going to feed the babies?
If you are not going to use special foods like egg yoke or store bought tiny baby fish food, you will need a mature tank that contains infusoria (decay plant materials with many one cell organisms) for them to eat. So you got 3 weeks to make that sterile tank to a mature one (unless you feed them with specialty foods) God luck

I have 7. They are in with an f8 but for some reason he doesnt bother them. They are there for him but he wont eat them only dead foods. I love shrimp they are very amusing.

ajaguilar said:
BTW what are you going to feed the babies?
If you are not going to use special foods like egg yoke or store bought tiny baby fish food, you will need a mature tank that contains infusoria (decay plant materials with many one cell organisms) for them to eat. So you got 3 weeks to make that sterile tank to a mature one (unless you feed them with specialty foods) God luck

Im going to put in some plants from my brackish tank that arent doing well. I also have algae on my FW tank growing on the glass hood that ill scrape off and use. I will also make egg yolk when the time comes.
Any other suggestions

I have a figure 8 puffer(f8), a few BBGs and the shrimp in a 30 gallon. I would like to add something else but im not sure what. I dont like mollies but someone on here said they have a freshwater flounder and i would like to try that but idk.

Back
Top Bottom