Best algae eater & small schooling fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dianel64

Aquarium Advice Regular
What's the best algae eater for a 150ltr tank? It's a community tank with bronze corys & a ct betta. I'm going to have a group of small fish in it also, not sure what, maybe some sort of tetra or raspbora. What would show well with a black ct betta?
I was thinking either Peckoltia vittata aka Clown pleco or a Bristlenose for the algae eater. Any other suggestions welcome.

oto's an option. they are a good community fish and only grow to about 4cm so you could have a few of them.

Bristlenose plecos are awesome algae eaters. For a small schooling fish you could go with some kind of peaceful tetras (neon, cardinal, glowlight, etc.), rasboras (harlequin, emerald eye, etc.) or something along those lines.

Siamese Flying Foxes (sometimes called Siamese Algae Eaters) are pretty cool. They can up to about 5 or 6 inches but they eat pretty much every type of algae in existance. They are peaceful and will sleep on the leaves of your plants (as long as the leaf is big enough). I love mine and my tank is spotless. Oh and you should probably have at least 2, they do like company.

Think Fish - The Tropical Fish Keeping Resource - Siamese Flying Fox

Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community - View Profile: Ickletas

Thanks for the suggestions, a friend of my sons gave me an adult female Bristlenose & my hubby came home with 8 white spot tetras. Just Googled the tetras & they may fin nip when older, I'll keep a close watch on them, although Diesel (my ct betta) keeps everyone in check lol. I had a couple of male Platys & anytime they fought he flared at them lol.

adadkins1 said:
Sounds like a good stocking list. Is a "White Spot Tetra" a Head and Tail Light Tetra?

No they're Aphyocharax paraguayensis aka White Spot Tetra or sometimes called Dawn Tetra, or Panda Tetra. They grow to around the size of a Cardinal Tetra. They have the weirdist way with them, if you watch them closly, they seem to hover & vibrate, you would think they were on acid lol.

Attachments

• White Spot Tetra .jpeg
    White Spot Tetra .jpeg
    3 KB · Views: 801
Cool little fish! I have never seen one in my LFS. My glowlights will do the hovering and vibrating; it is pretty funny. Sounds like you have a great stocking list.

Back
Top Bottom