best all-purpose fert and substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
blert said:
If there is a place near you that rents sand blasting machines they will have sand also.

thing like Eco-complete; too expensive for my needs would you say? or are they mainly for stem and root plants

are ones like Eco-complete ok for my needs? looks dark and fits with colour schemes. is it just that it's expensive?

I don't get it guys... PFS is almost completely inert and nutrient devoid. It's not so much a plant substrate as a budget alternative. There are less marketed substrates that actually contain nutrients that may be available in Australia.

MTS capped pfs would be even better than just pfs.

Hmm... I thought budget was a concern in this instance. If not, you can't go wrong with straight up EC.

I agree to go with soil capped with whatever you want, dirt is like 2 dollars for a 40 lb bag and has more nutrients than most any shelf aquarium substrate. But if money is no object, why not go with aquasoil? :]

You can use all natural clay granule non clumping non scented kitty litter. It's very good for plants actually. Do some research on it.

thanks all. initially, my last post wrote "too expensive for my needs" and I changed it. cost is a consideration but it's not a concern provided I get something that can be of assistance to all the plants and doesn't require extensive constant maintenance.

ideally i don't want to be spending lots and lots but if we're talking about a bag of aqua soil or Eco complete, then that's okay. I guess it's about being much more educated on it vis a vis my needs but back to my initial post, something that's all purpose and is black or dark would be great. it's a small 8 gallon tank so I don't need stupendous amounts.

going to be checking out:

MTS capped pfs
aquasoil
natural clay granule non clumping non scented kitty litter

i'll post some pics finally once it's set up next week!

thanks all for the replies. much appreciated :)

Back
Top Bottom