Best aquatic gardening tool for the job?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

summit

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am in need of a tool for some simple planting and pruning, but my tank is not very large, its an 8 gallon, and will be heavily planted with lots of crypts, anubias nana, mosses, and some various other low light plants.

I was looking at a Toms Aquatic Gardener, the 20" version, but was thinking this may be overkill as my tank is only 13" high, is there any other alternatives people are using? can I use some simple stainless steel sissors? Also do these aquatic gardening tools work well as a planter in gravel? specifically fluorite black? I have a heck of a time planting my crytps.

Thanks

I use my thumb nail ande tip of trigger finger to prune the plants, its jsut as sharp as a paring knfie cut.

For soft plants, I just pinch parts off with my fingers. For tougher plants, it is better to use something sharp so as not to bruise of make bad tears on the plants. I use a small stainless steel surgical scissors for general pruning, and an exacto knife to divide roots & rhyzomes.

I use fingers to dig & plant .... much better control & you get tactile feedback.

i agree with jsoong. if you really want to go all out you could buy some ada tools at what $150 a pop lol

thanks, I didnt think it was really necessary, some stainless scissors it is :)

tweezers are invaluable! Use your thumb planting single nodes of marselea for instance. ;)

Ebay and look arond - aquaticmagic is one I can name, but there are several, that sell 10"-12" straight and curved tipped tweezers and scissors.

I found an alternative to where I can buy stainless steel surgical scissors straight or curved of different lengths and long tweezers. Near where I live there are a few stores that carry a little of everything, one is called the Trading Post. I paid $6.00 for a 12’ pair of tweezers and $3.00 for a small pair of surgical scissors. So check around locally to save on shipping.

Harbor Freight is where I got my long tweezers and the dollar store for my scissors.

Back
Top Bottom