Question for the Plant Gurus Here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wy Renegade

Aquarium Advice Addict
So as most of you know, I have lots of tanks (over 10) in my classroom, which I've had students maintaining for the past 20+ years. Over my period of keeping tanks, my own interests have evolved and the tanks with them. Over the last 5 or 6 years, several of the tanks have acquired plants - all low light, low maintenance plants; java moss has done well, as have the assorted Anubias. Not so much luck with most of the others, including anacharis which I just can't seem to keep long term in any tank. I'm not very good about consistently testing parameters, and since they are cared for by students, loss is not uncommon (a surprisingly high number do not seem to grasp the basic differences between a terrestrial and aquatic plant). Certain plants do better in certain tanks than others, while others slowly fade out, but do well in a different tank. I don't fertilize or dose and tanks are typically stocked lightly.

Anyhoo . . . to the topic at hand. I have a 29 gallon tank that has been set up in it's current iteration since about 2011, under the concept of an African river tank biotope. I planted heavily with Java fern and various anubias plants, added more wood than rock, and stocked with a school of Congo tetras, some upside down cats, and a couple kribs, hoping the kribs would eventually breed. The Congo's have been very hardy and have done well, although we recently added a group of 10 small ones with the remaining from the original school. The upside down cats faded out over the years, and the original kribs never bred and were removed after a couple years. We replaced them last year with two yellow kribs, which also never paired, although we recently added two more in hopes that we will get a pair. The Java ferns faded away, but the various anubias have taken off, and grown like mad. However, they had a black growth of what I assume is some sort of algae on them. It didn't seem too detrimental, as the plants were consistently putting out new growth, and the old growth was doing ok. Lighting is currently two 36" fluorescent strip lights; one with a 10,000K daylight bulb and other with a Floramax bulb. We just recently replaced bulbs and have a bit of vigorous growth from both the black and normal green on both the tank surfaces and the plant leaves. I'm considering a switch to a 36" LED strip by Aqueon, but don't want to blow the algae growth up even further, so looking for suggestions on the best way to do this and not affect the algae growth while perhaps improving the plant growth. Filtration is an undergravel filter powered by a Maxi-Jet 900 Powerhead, which I'm considering switching over to a Aquaclear, as I am considering switching up the substrate. Sorry for the book, but appreciate any input on the algae, lighting and substrate.

Most plants will do well under low light. If you want faster growth rates you can increase the lighting therefore an LED with a dimmer would be a good shout. 40 PAR would be ample for most. Hardware is not my game if I’m honest and being on the other side of the pond means I don’t tend to research the products that are more readily available in the US market.

Colour temperature is only really important for how you want to perceive the tank. 6500K is by no means essential but the colour rendering at this temperature generally gives a warmer feel with wavelengths in the areas that really accents the natural colours of both fish and plants. I wouldn’t get too hung up on this though.

You can make fertilisation easier for yourself if you go with a nutritious substrate such as any soil based commercial mix (ADA, Tropica) or you can go for a basic topsoil. There are also other clay based substrates that can be used for iron (fluorite) or you can simply add root capsules to plain sand or gravel underneath the root of the plants.

It’s important to remember that the less PAR (light) you have the less requirements for nutrients there will be so if you do go with a nutrient rich substrate, there may need be a need to add column based ferts.

Now you just have to decide whether you want to use co2 which is all based on light intensity and the type of plants you plant on growing.

Back
Top Bottom