Best critters for new tank??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

texaspepper

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a brand new 29 gal glass tank with penguin biowheel, etc. etc.... So far I just have large gravel, silk plants and a fake "cave". I am using a tank stabilizer to seed the bio-wheel and have tested for all the good (and bad) chemicals. I want to introduce some wildlife after a week to start the process, like ghost shrimp, a snail or two and an algae eater. The final residents are expected to be a couple of fancy crowned goldfish, so would it be safe to put some simple goldfish in there to start the animal part of cycling??? or what other small hardy, non-combative fish would like to be tank-mates with the fancy goldfish? Thanks!!

I'm not sure if it's stabilized, those bacteria in a bottle things usually don't work,
But if the readings are fine I guess so.

I would stock slowly with the shrimp and snails.

If all still checks out, only one goldfish. Usually it's 20 gallons for every goldfish and 10 for every one you add after that (if they're fancy golds), but in a newly cycled tank I would say only one, they're very messy.

K... good thought... just didn't want only shrimp and snails in there with nothing to "eat," that is why I was thinking about a small regular goldfish or two... I don't want to rush it, that's for sure.... Thank you....

so is your tank cycled or not? were u planning on using the fish to supply the ammonia to cycle? if so i would strongly suggest fishless cycling..if i interpreted your post wrong i apologize

Currently I am fishless cycling, but I was wanting to start to add livestock to the tank without risking a fancy goldfish....

why would you add anything before the cycling is done? once you add anything you'll need to do water changes to keep the parameters suitable for the fish..its more work and will take longer than just finishing the fishless cycle

texaspepper said:
Just the bacteria in a bottle... I thought ammonia was a BAD thing!!

Ok. It is when you have fish because anything over 0.25ppm can be bad for their health. When doing a fishless cycle you need to add an ammonia source (pure ammonia from a bottle) to build up your beneficial bacteria colony. If you wanted to do a fishless cycle don't add fish yet. If you want to do a fish in cycle you can add a fish but it requires A LOT of water changes (sometimes 2 a day) and water testing. I will find some links for you.......

Then WHY do they say to get the ammonia to 0-ppm and why all the "fixes" for high ammonia in the store.... is there more than one kind of ammonia, like there is nitrites/nitrates? I'm so confused....

texaspepper said:
Then WHY do they say to get the ammonia to 0-ppm and why all the "fixes" for high ammonia in the store.... is there more than one kind of ammonia, like there is nitrites/nitrates? I'm so confused....

Because ammonia is a bad thing in a cycled tank and a necessity to cycle a tank to begin with. Read the links then if you have questions. Fire away!

texaspepper said:

When the tank is cycled, them you want 0 ammonia. Fish produce ammonia in their waste, this is turned into nitrite and then nitrate. While you are cycling the tank you must artificially add an ammonia source, either bottled pure ammonia, a dead shrimp or a fish. (preferably not the fish! )

Back
Top Bottom