Best deal ever!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

severum mama

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok, I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right place, but I have the opportunity to get a 75 gallon tank and stand... for FREE. 8) The only thing wrong with it is that the tank has a chip in the glass on one of the corners. The chip does not go all the way down to the seal. Do you guys think it would be a problem? The person giving it to me doesn't seem to think so. I'll try to remember to snap a pic of the chip so I can post it up here. If it's ok structurally, I will either use it for a discus setup or for SW.

You can't possibly consider a tank with a small chip in it. Think of the potential disaster. It saddens me to offer you to dispose of it for free of charge...... hummm, now how many miles is it from KY to WI? X$3.00per gallon... on the other hand, maybe you should hang onto it.

Sorry to say this severum mama but the fact that you need to ask should tell you that enough concern exists to not use the tank. A minor flaw in glass is a potential disaster.

Now that is good luck! There's no way you can turn it down.

The actual tanks aren't that expensive, it's always the stand that has the huge price tag.

I wish I had luck like that.

I'm not too concerned about it, I just wanted opinions I guess. By the time I set up another tank my entire house will have a waterproofed ceramic tile floor. I'm still in the planning stages of everything, so I'm thinking it over for sure. I know the tank has held water in the past and the person that has offered it to me was going to set it up as a QT. I'll snap a pic later today and get it posted tonight. I can get a new AGA 75 gallon tank for $105 so that may be the way to go. But if this tank is ok to use I'd rather save the money, you know? Thanks for the opinions.

My take on this, is to go for it but don't use the tank. The stand is still good right? Why not dispose of the tank (or if you are adventurous, replace that one panel of glass) and keep the stand. It is free after all.

Everyone in this thread seems to dismiss the tank because it has a flaw but it isn't incredibly difficult to repair a tank with a new piece of glass. After all, the chip is only in one of the sides.

Here's what I'd do:

-take the tank

-use it without water, or at least without a lot of water

Make a retile setup, have an emersed planted tank (that would be incredible), or take it outside and use it as a small above ground pond.

A lot would also depend upon how high or low the chip is. Because of gravity, the pressure exerted on the glass at the lower part of the tank is higher than the pressure towards the top. If the chip is on, say, the top 1/4 of the glass, I might consider using it. Otherwise, no way.

Also, this might be an amazing opportunity to set up a paladrarium (is that the word?), or maybe a brackish tidal pool type of set-up for archerfish, something like that, where you'd have the tank less than full.

Size and shape of the chip is one of the most important factors. If the chip is more like a crack, there will be stress concentrations and it will run (just like a windshield does). If it is a very shallow chip without any pointy edges, it won't be near as bad.

And as mentioned above, if it is in the top 5-6 inches of the tank then it's less of a concern (considering that it is still not a shape that will cause significant stress concentrations).

My 29 gallon has chips...not one...many... along one corner. No problems as of yet.

Did I say chips? They are more like gouges. lol :lol:

Ya, don't go out and buy another tank right away as it is doubtful the chips can cause issues unless like was said above you can see stress fractures spidering around it.

My 40 long has pretty decent chips on the corner but more towards the top, hasn't leaked yet. Not to mention I think older tanks are built much better then newer ones today. They used an extreme amount of silicon on mine.

I have heard from many store owners that they see a pattern following new tanks with leaks, likely someone took the day off in quality control if you get me. One guy even went as far as saying his tanks have been 50/50 on leaking new & used. All he does is Marine stuff so the tanks themselves are never small.

Take all this in stride as it may leak the second you fill it. :)

I think I may just go for the new tank instead. I took another look at it today and I'm just not sure about it. I'll save so much money on the stand that buying a new 75g won't be that big of a deal.

I can't wait!

What side is the chip on? If it's not the front side, why not just get a new piece of glass cut to the dimensions of the inside of the tank and use an adhesive to basically glue it in the inside? Just a small bead around the whole parimeter of the new glass is all that would be needed. Then you won't have the possible pressures affecting the chipped glass, as the pressure would then be on the new glass.

I know people who have done it with cracked bottoms, and it's worked well. So I'm thinking this would work as well.

Back
Top Bottom