Best filter that won't break the bank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
W

waynephinney

I'm still an aquarium n00b, so I need all the help I can get. Are there really good filtration systems out there that will help me in keeping my ammonia and other levels where they should be? I don't even care if it's moderately expensive because I don't intend to get it tomorrow. I just want to be prepared for when I get a new filter setup.

Some of you already know about the problems I've had with my new tank due to my complete inexperience and misinformation, and while I certainly don't mind following the advice I've already been given, any help I can get would be a good thing.

Ideas?

Pretty much any filter will keep your water with good levels as long as it is sized appropriately, except for an ugf. Are you looking for a hob? I can't remember what your tank size is off the top of my head.

Odd that it didn't show up with my post.

It's a 29 gallon with what I'm told are far too many fish, but of course nobody tells me this when I'm buying them. The one I have hangs on the back, but it's on a solid stand with storage underneath. I wouldn't even mind something that I had to store inside the stand and just drill a large enough hole to get any tubing through to get up to the tank or what have you.

In a couple of years, assuming my balas and iridescent don't die, I'll need to upgrade to a bigger tank anyhow, so if I don't end up using the 29 after that, I'll want a filter that can be carried over. When I upgrade, again, assuming the fish last long enough to get big enough to need a tank that size, I'm getting a 125 gallon tank, so I'll want something that can handle that too.

I just hope not all of my fish die before then.

You could have a canister on the tank. A Cascade 700 would be a good option for you. It would provide additional filtration and wont break the bank. Well, I guess it really depends on what you consider breaking the bank. LOL

As far as upgrading, if you put a filter on a 29 gal tank that is suitable for a 125, your fish will be pushed around the tank in a pretty big current. You can always use the filter later on the 125, but it won't be your sole filtration.

The bigger current almost sounds like a good thing for the balas and iridescent. I've read that having a current to swim against will give them to opportunity to feel like they're swimming in a bigger area.

As for breaking the bank, anything over $300 is out for right now. I'd like to stay under $200 if at all possible.

Cascade 700 eh? I think I saw one of those at my LFS. I'll check that out.

I have a Fluval 304 cannister on my 29 gal, and I've been very happy with it. It's on sale at Big Als online for $73, including the media. I have tiger barbs and rasboras - they enjoy the 304's current, but are not at all knocked around by it. The Fluvals also allow you to adjust the outflow by as much as 50%.

If and when you get that 125 gal, you could buy a SECOND Fluval 304 and run both on it.

You could also get something like a Cascade 1000 if you don't feel concerned about the flow rate. But you could also use the spray bar instead of the nozel to help with that. And the flow is adjustable.

I am very surprised that no one has suggested an aquaclear HOB filter. I have a aquaclear 70 on my 29gal tank and love it. Personally I think putting a canister filter on a 29g is like using a shotgun to kill a spider - overkill! An AC70 is great for a tank that size and only costs about $30. Then buy a canister when you buy a tank that needs it.

just my 2 cents.

Im using a new Penquin Emperor 280 bio wheel with my Top Find 30g HOB in conjuntion and damn, my water has never been cleaner. No more UGF's for me ever!

Under $200 is a pretty generous budget for any canister other than an eheim pro. Check out the Fluval 404, or the Rena Filstar Xp3. Either will easily support a tank up to about 70 gallons and should come in well under $200 installed. (buy online.)

I ditto on the AquaClear 70 ... I started with one on my 55g, but have since added a second. Most people will agree that there's no such thing as overfiltration (other than the high water current), so you can always go bigger than what you need. If you go smaller or right at the proper size, you can always double up on your filtration, assuming you have the space to put another on.

I can't speak for canister filters, other than the research I did while considering getting one. I was looking at a Rena Filstar XP3 for mine and if I remember correctly they were around $100 when I was looking last year. so, i have no idea what kind of maintenance, etc goes into those. I know you get some additional flexibility with canisters in taht they usually allow you to "hide" your filtration under tank in your cabinet, they usually have ample space to add bio additives, inline heaters, etc. But that comes at a price versus the hob type filters.

I went with the AC 70's based on price, and I love them. I think I got mine for around $25 each. You can still add bio-media / charcoal if you wish. My biggest argument for the AC's are you don't have to keep buying replacement filter media. I just open mine up, and rinse out the sponges (I use 2 instead of just one), put them back in and its ready to go.

So, if you buy something like an AquaClear hob filter, you'd have to decide what size you want ... given that you're thinking of transferring your new filter to a larger tank. Even if you went with an AC 70 or smaller ... you could use it as part of your filtration on the larger tank (ie: you'd need to add another filter in addition to the AC 70).

I don't know how many filters others use on their large tanks, but my friend who has a 125g uses 2 hob AquaClears and a canister on his. Now, could he get by with one good sized canister? I dunno ... probably.

I have to agree about the Jebo Odyssea. It's pretty much a direct knockoff of the Eheim Pro II series, and a few others. It's well designed and constructed, and runs very quietly and efficiently. And, it comes with all media! That is it already comes with filter pads, Ammonia remover chips, ceramic rings, and sponges. It's a four media basket (baskets have individual handles) filter with large priming pump knob, hoses, fittings, inlet and outlet tubes and spraybar.

I have one that I'm very impressed with. In comparison to my other canister filters which include:
Fluval 104, 204, 304(2)
Kangde 601, 602, 603 (sold under many different brand names, and similar to the Rena XP)
Former owner of a couple of different Eheim Classics,
I'd have to say, it's the best filter bargain available.

In terms of convenience I like the aqua stop feature of the Fluvals, but other than that, all are pretty much equal. They all do what they're supposed to-clean the water. They all do it very quietly. In fact, I have to touch the Kangdes to tell if they're running or not. But, the Jebo is nearly as silent. For the features, included media and accessories, cosmetic appearance, ease of use and performance, the Jebo is unbeatable! And......when you consider the price, it's an astounding deal.

hashbaz said:
I am very surprised that no one has suggested an aquaclear HOB filter. I have a aquaclear 70 on my 29gal tank and love it. Personally I think putting a canister filter on a 29g is like using a shotgun to kill a spider - overkill! An AC70 is great for a tank that size and only costs about $30. Then buy a canister when you buy a tank that needs it.

just my 2 cents.

I agree, not only is it overkill but you are going to end up doing more work in the long run. Go with a HOB, the Aquaclear is good and so are a bunch of others. Just make sure you get one that the replacement cartridges don't end up breaking the bank in the long run.

I'm not sure how much a comercial sump is but you could use that. It would be easily carried over to a larger tank you would just have to get a bigger pump. I am looking into building one. If ur up to it its a lot of fun. I think u can buy a used one pretty cheap.

Question about the Odyssea:

How often do I need to buy specific filter media supplies like filter pads and such?

I'm really NOT a big fan of using stuff like ammonia removing chips, carbon, etc.

Can I successfully run one of these with mechanical and biological filtration media and forget about the chemical filtration stuff?

What other supplies might I want to buy?

How often do you clean one of these?

right now I use exclusively Emperor and Penguin HOB filters and have been very please with them. I cut out the backs of the filters and remove the carbon when they begin to clog up and rince the filters many times before throwing them out. I want to have the same or better economy with a canister filter if possible.

You can do the same with a cannister. I reuse my pads I have had my current pads for well over two years. There is also plenty of room for biomedia as well.

YuccaPatrol said:
right now I use exclusively Emperor and Penguin HOB filters and have been very please with them. I cut out the backs of the filters and remove the carbon when they begin to clog up and rince the filters many times before throwing them out. I want to have the same or better economy with a canister filter if possible.

So why get a different filter, stick with what you got. I'm telling you, canisters are a pain to clean once the tubes get clogged. Just think of them like remote hobs, they both do about the same job but with one you have big tubes going in and out of the thing to get the water to the filter.

If you do get a canister I agree with rich, just get a bunch of biomedia & sponges, and skip the stuff like carbon and chips.

piranha said:
Go to Aquatraders.com Get yourself an Odyssea CFS4 (formerly Jebo 828) cannister filter for an unbelievable $39.99. I have one for 1 year now. Nothing comes close for the money!

But its another $30 for shipping, making it $70 for a knock-off filter without any warranty.

Back
Top Bottom