Best fish for a 5 gallon, also opinon on ghost shrimp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Minabug

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 5 gallon aquarium I wanted to get a fish for. Just one fish is fine or a few that would be okay in a 5 gallon Do ghost shrimp get along with any fish/won't be eaten by other fish? What are the advantages and disadvantages of ghost shrimp?

I wanted to get a betta, but with my hood light on my 5 gallon there's a hole for the filter. Was worried about the betta jumping out of it since I know they can be jumpers, even with the filter on and running.

i've not had any issue with my betta jumping out of open top tanks. You could keep the water level a little lower if you are really worried about it, but if there's a lid I wouldn't worry too much, even if it has a hole for the filter.

There's a few options for a 5g, several nano species work, celestial pearl danios are cool. There are some native species that work great but can be hard to find, pygmy killis, least killies, pygmy sunfishes.

Ghost shrimp work out with most fish that can fit in a 5g. Betta's can be hit and miss sometimes but it's worth trying and seeing if you do go with one.

How big is this hole? It would have to be pretty open (in my opinion) before you would have to worry about the betta jumping out. Though I am by no means an expert on the species, and every betta is different. I have occasionally forgotten to close the little feeding hatch for an hour or two on my 5 gallon hex that is home to my betta and he has never jumped out.

You are limited as far as types of fish. You could do a few Endlers in there as they stay so small. Perhaps a small group of dwarf corys?

You could do an invert tank with a few amano shrimp perhaps...

Without the filter in, the hole is a little over 5" wide and little over 2" high. It's not that big, I just don't want a betta jumping to it's death.

Only places around here to buy fish are Petsmart, Petco, or Walmart. My local pet store that sells fish is worthless. They have countless dead fish in their tanks, filthy water, not to mention when I asked for the proper medicine for a fish I was trying to rescue they told me to just kill it.

Back
Top Bottom