Best food for platy fry?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

celticfan

Aquarium Advice Activist
My platy had babies today, about 35, 1 was dead and the mom ate a couple :( so theres still about 30.

Just wondered whats best to feed them and how much if its the liquid kind of food.

I always feed my fry the same food I feed the other fish... except I grind it up in to a powder. Just make sure it's a good quality flake, not the junk you find on the shelves of most typical chain stores.

there you go, i think thats fine, if you want to give em a little sumthin' speacial then feed em freshly hatched day old baby brine shrimp. (whatcha know about that?...lol) i was chattin' earlier with some folks on here about red zebra fry and they dismissed that, and (bloodworms when they are a little bigger)had some n.l.s. that is all the rave, i guess... old habits die hard or they are to lazy to grow the brine shrimp, it is the most common fry food, along fry food and crushed flake. platys arent picky from my experience, i give em flake 80% of the time(meat then veggie kind). i guess i spoil my mollies next and cichlid varieties the most. my african cichlid tank is slightly overstocked-according to the inch of full grown per gallon rule, but have had ZERO illness and death, so im pretty happy 'bout that, now im fallin' for my baby dime-nickel size angels...anyway, i know a little about you from what i have seen on here (not a stalker, just into fish)and you will do just fine. hey ... your the vet here.lol preachin' to the choir, again...good luck, both of u- doogle

I recently had some platy fry about a month ago and I feed them a mixed diet of crushed up flakes blood worms and baby brine shrimp (frozen) I would alternate evry day with the food and they grew pretty big I actually have them in the main tank now

I will also give props to a food called "First Bites" made by Hikari. It comes in a small package and you'll only need one pack for a batch of fry. It basically looks like brown sugar, and you can just wet your fingertip, dip it in the pack, and then dip your coated fingertip in the water and watch the fry go bananas.

I raised a batch of 20 Black Mollies on that stuff with 0 deaths.

Vircomore said:
I will also give props to a food called "First Bites" made by Hikari. It comes in a small package and you'll only need one pack for a batch of fry. It basically looks like brown sugar, and you can just wet your fingertip, dip it in the pack, and then dip your coated fingertip in the water and watch the fry go bananas.

I raised a batch of 20 Black Mollies on that stuff with 0 deaths.

Exactly go with his/her awnser

Its always better to feed your fish live food it'll give you healthier fry and if not frozen baby brine shrimp helps alot to first bites is good but fry need a varied diet

I agree, "First Bites" by Hikari is the best fry food out there. My Platy babies love it and they are growing and are very healthy! what's great about the food is that it's powder and you just have to dip your finger in the bag and brush it into the tank. They will gobble it up.

Back
Top Bottom