Best fug substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beachbumin

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Well first off i hope im not asking to many fug questions but im curious about the benefits of the different substrates used in fugs. I have heard of many people using regular ls but i have noticed several products like refugium mud. Basically im just wondering what the cost/benefit ratio of these products is and am looking for pretty much any feedback on the subject! thanks guys :idea:

it all depends on what you are using a fuge for. check out the book Reef invertebrates. it really has the more information on fuges than you ever need to know.

for a basic run down, if you want to grow algae, a simple sand bed will be fine. for denitrifacation, a deep sand bed is needed, the deeper the better. if you want to grow infuana and copepods and other plankters, a rock rubble base is the best. you only really need the mud if you want to grow actual marine plants like mangroves, but even that is debatable. HTH

I think a MIXTURE of stuff is great. I use a DSB with Home depot's Southdown and I put piles of rubble on top of it for the pods homes.

Back
Top Bottom