Best Media for a small DIY freshwater sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jlederma

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,
I am setting up a 24 Gallon tank and plan to build a DIY sump out of a 5 gallon bucket. I am looking for inexpensive long lasting effective filter media. I was thinking about two stages, one using fiber fill for physical filtration and then the 2nd stage with bio-balls, ceramic rings, scrubbies or something similar.

What are the best choices and where is a good place to buy them?

Thanks in advance!

Thanks, I'm planning to run by a dollar store looking for scrubbies today and if I don't find them I'll order those. For the physical filter, I assume that fiber fill (or something similar) is the best choice?

Well fiber fill or poly fill will clog quickly and will need to be replaced sooner. If you want more I would use 10/20 ppi foam with the pot scrubbies. Still won't need any cleaning for 6 months.

I had no idea that I could just buy foam like that. Very cool. The best part is that I can buy a large sheet and cut it to fit my filter exactly. Thank you VERY much!

I had no idea that I could just buy foam like that. Very cool. The best part is that I can buy a large sheet and cut it to fit my filter exactly. Thank you VERY much!
That would work just fine! I use Poret foam exclusively because it's made for aquarium use. But you can find large sheets on Amazon too. Make sure it is aquarium safe.

Back
Top Bottom