Best (most tightly) schooling fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wickeded

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I want a school of fish, tightly schooling fish. Like those sardines or something you see in ocean documentary.

I tried Neon tetra, black neon tetra, white cloud (all 10+ when I tried), but in my opinion they school rather too 'loosely'. Any recommendations?

TIA-

I second the harlequin rasboras. Mine are usually in a tight school, and apparently happy 'cause I found a few fry in the quarantine tank when I took it down. They are "common", I know, but are really beautiful and do school well.

All my tanks are full, so if I take the q-tine down I can't get any more fish. RIGHT?

Most of the tetras and such need a 'threat', or at least something they see as a potential threat. Red-tailed or rainbow sharks work well for this purpose. I had a loose school of 15 black skirt tetras. I added a rather large (4 1/2in) red-tailed shark, and the school tightened up quite quickly.

Without a 'threat', I would probably have to say: 1. rummynose tetras, 2. bloodfin tetras, and 3. harlequin rasboras, in that order.

I should have posted more info about ghost/glass cats.

They require a school of 6+ and will rarely ever leave thier pack. They are the tightest of tight schoolers. So tight in fact that they will die without a school (so it is said) from stress.

I have a school, and they move as a single unit about the tank. Get to be about 3-4 inches from tip to tail, but have small, compact main bodies.

Back
Top Bottom