Best placement for circulation pump?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

moosemoose97

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all!
Ive got a 30x22x12 tank (37 gallons). Ive started plants for the first time, low tech no co2, Im on about week 10. The tank isn't heavily planted (some swords, a crypt lutea, dwarf hair grass, s. repens). Also I have angelfish that have trouble when in front of the pump. Some diatoms have popped up and i wondered if circulation could help, with the dead spots.

I bought a Sicce Voyager Nano circulation pump that pushes 270gph. My aquaclear 70 sits in the back right corner pushing about 300gph.

Where should i place the Nano to keep a natural, constant flow?

Since the tanks so tall, should i purchase another Nano and place it lower? If so where?

Or on the other spectrum, should I remove the Nano since my angels have issues when swimming in its path?

Is the ACs output flow enough to keep the water at the bottom of this tall tank moving in your opinion?

Also a diagram showing the flow direction would help greatly!
Thanks in advance

Personally, I would look for any place that detritus accumulates and then place the powerhead accordingly to push water around. It's impossible for us to really tell you that any single spot is the best as it depends heavily on your aquascaping where the dead spots will form.

Personally, I would look for any place that detritus accumulates and then place the powerhead accordingly to push water around. It's impossible for us to really tell you that any single spot is the best as it depends heavily on your aquascaping where the dead spots will form.

+1

Also, diatoms are very common in new tanks. It will pass as the tank ages.

Many underestimate Hairgrass, it can grow in low tech slowly.. But to see a true carpet from it any time soon it needs higher lighting and co2.

Caleb

My tank is 24" tall and I definitely have dead spots. Mine is placed to the back right bottom of the tank and is pointed straight up.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thank you all for replying! The only real dead spot is the top left (since the AC 70 output flow is in the top right). The water there seems stagnant. The AC 70 pushes the water down the front of the glass but doesn't really touch the left side of the tank.

I turned off the Nano for a day and watched how my fish reacted. (If they could swim noticeably more freely, etc). But they kept going up to the surface. I've read that this can be because there is a lack of oxygen( or basically surface agitation right?). So I feel like it's either keep the Nano running and towards the top left, but the Angels struggle swimming in the current, or turn off the Nano so the Angels can swim, but risk stagnant spots and less surface agitation?

I may be over reacting but I've read numerous articles that say beneficial circulation in a planted aquarium is important.

+1

Also, diatoms are very common in new tanks. It will pass as the tank ages.

Many underestimate Hairgrass, it can grow in low tech slowly.. But to see a true carpet from it any time soon it needs higher lighting and co2.

Caleb

I plan on upgrading my lights soon, not a huge upgrade but hopfully enough to help the DHG. I also dose excel. I'd rather stay away from a CO2 system until I've got the chemistry of a planted tank down (as this is my first planted tank:).

Back
Top Bottom