Best plants to buy with goldfish in the tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lcmwest

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 10 gal with one goldfish and a blue gourami. Between the two of them, they have eaten all the plants I have attempted to plant. So far, I have only been able to keep hornwort floating successfully. Anyone have advice for plants that goldfish are not so fond of?

Java fern, nobody eats it. In my pond with goldfish, I keep Anacharis, hornwort, and a couple types of Saggitaria and Valiseneria. Now, I'm not certain if the fish just cannot keep up with the growth of the plants, or they just nibble a little bit. Either way, those plants thrive out there. It may be a different story in an aquarium.

Also, I feed my goldfish in the pond duckweed from my aquariums at least 2-3 times a week from late spring to early fall, so maybe that's enough vegetation for them, can't say for sure. No question at all, my goldfish do love to eat duckweed, throw it in the pond, it's like a piranha feeding frenzy, vegan-style!

I will give those a try, thanks. I try to give them a little lettuce now and then, perhaps I will make that more of a regular part of their diet.

Goldies also like zuchinni, bananas, oranges, blanched leaf lettuces like romaine, and English peas without the skin. BTW, you are splitting up the gourami and the goldfish soon aren't you? Gouramis are tropical FW and goldies are coldwater fish. . .

The two have been living peacefully together for about a year and a half. I have a heater in the tank, that I keep on the low end of the green zone. They are both active and healthy.

anubius as well as marimo balls will do good in there as well
TN_Marimo.JPG

http://www.aquatic-store.com/index.html?target=dept_292.html&lang=en-us

Back
Top Bottom