Best Root Tabs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bubbles0oO

Aquarium Advice Addict
Bought some swords recently and have read that they are heavy root feeders. I dose liquid frets right now , but I'd like to root feed the swords as well. What kind of root tabs are the best? Is there an easy way to DIY root tabs?

API root tabs work fine. Pfertz are also very good, though much more expensive.

Easy way to DIY Root Tabs. Make Fert-Cicles. Buy Osmocote Plus. Get an ice tray. Fill ice tray with some Osmocote Plus, add Tank Water to the compartments. Freeze.
Push the Fert-cicles deep into the substrate, spaced out around the tank, but esp. near Swords or Crypts.

Have had lots of luck with AquariumPlants.com Total Pellets.
http://www.aquariumplants.com/AquariumPlants_com_s_own_SUBSTRATE_VITALIZATION_p/fert.htm
They come in three flavors: everything, everything minus phosphate, and trace only. At 11$ for 75 pellets it is a pretty good deal. Shipping is only 6$ flat rate unless you are in a hurry. Also have 500ml Excel for $7.50 and 500ml Prime for $11.50 so I try to time my orders to make the most of the flat rate shipping charge.

Ok, I had read that API root tabs were messy, is this true?

They're the only root tabs I have experience with so far, so I can't base this in comparison to others, but yeah they were pretty messy.

When you push them into the substrate they let off clouds of fertilizer, which I didn't expect. I'll personally be going DIY for my next set of root tabs, I'm just using API in the meantime.

Does the water stay cloudy? Or does it clear up/ settle? Im going to the LFS today, should I get?

Does the water stay cloudy? Or does it clear up/ settle? Im going to the LFS today, should I get?

It settles. Overall I think they're decent, my root plants are doing well, but like I said I don't really have much basis for comparison.

I'm just going DIY because I like DIY projects and because I hear they're cheaper in the long run, but I'm sure the API ones would serve the purpose well if you just stick with them also.

Back
Top Bottom