Best Salt Mix

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I suggest Instant Ocean you can get it about anywhere...its what most people recommend....a site where you can get it is petsolutions.com you can get a bag at your lfs...if you sont want to pay shipping..

You will find the opinions on salt pretty much a dogs breakfast. Everyone has their preferences but in all fairness, there is no "best salt" out there. Buy one, stick with it for a while and see if you can make it work. Just remember not to go switching too often and always acclimate your tank to the new chemistry if you do switch.

Cheers
Steve

Ask a dozen people this question, probably get 13 answers ;)

I for one started with Instant Ocean, hated it (doesn't dissolve well), and have switched to Oceanic, and stuck with it.

Like Steve says, if you do decide to switch, do it slowly, using smaller water changes.

I use Oceanic and it has been fine. It does dissolve very quick. The last bucket I bought has low ph readings though (there are threads about this problem) so I am thinking of switching over to Kent on my next bucket.

i actually intentionally switch up which salt I use frequently what is wrong with that???? I figured they probably all vary with respect to trace elements and that switching around would give me the best of all salts. Also there is that designer salt that comes in a box and is twice the price... any opinions out there on that.

changing salts defeats what you are trying to accomplish to have a healthy reef, a stable enviroment. some animals even have problems switching to new salts. when changing you should do more frequent water changes but of a smaller volume to slowly acclimate your tank to its new chemistry.

i use kent, it seems to have a better balnce and higher CA right out of the box. higher than IO anway.

steve r

Back
Top Bottom