Best types of moss/moss-like plant to grow on driftwood?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DanTheGuppyMan

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a nice planted tank that is looking great but I want to add a few more plants to fill in the open areas that need something in it. The first place I wanting to do this with is my driftwood. I have a large peice of driftwood in the center of the tank with java fern, Anubis barteri, and a small clump of java moss. I have not gotten the java moss to grow well and I don't really like the look of it. What are some good options to add on the driftwood of my tank? I like the more "fluffy" looking ones, and I was considering Christmas moss, weeping moss, or flame moss is what I believe you call it. Are those good choices? Any experience with growing moss on driftwood? Any suggestions or comments or welcome:)

Well. All mosses are great really!

It depends on which direction you want them to grow. Flame Moss has a tendency to grow up, Christmas and Weeping have a tendency to grow out and down.

I like Christmas Moss if you're trying to fill up a space as it seems to fill out a little better than Java Moss.

Growing them on DW is pretty straight forward. Grab some, place it how you like it, tie it with string to secure it. After a couple weeks, the Moss will have grabbed on to the DW and it will be very secure from there.

Thanks Predfan27. Big help- I think I may try some Christmas moss in the larger areas of the driftwood and cover the little stems that branch out from the larger branches with flame moss..I like the way those two look the best I think. Have you had any success with them?

Thanks Predfan27. Big help- I think I may try some Christmas moss in the larger areas of the driftwood and cover the little stems that branch out from the larger branches with flame moss..I like the way those two look the best I think. Have you had any success with them?

I've had success with Flame Moss, and have a friend who has Christmas Moss. I like his Moss, and he envies mine haha.

One thing you need with them: patience. These Mosses are generally slow growers even with the best of conditions. They may not look great right away, but given time, they make some awesome additions to planted tanks.

Actually you should really pick one type of moss and stick with it. As mosses grow they can grow together and you get a mixed mess of moss. Fissidens Fontanus is my favorite but might be hard to find. It starts off slow but when I upped my liquid CO2 that stuff grows like a weed now. Christmas moss would be my second choice. If you don't like the Java Moss remove all of it now or you won't get it out of your tank later. Even one tiny little piece will start growing if left in there. Here is a picture of the fissidens, you can see mine on the DW in my album pic's.... Google Image Result for http://www.aquamoss.net/Fissidens-fontanus/images/Fissidens-fontanus-08.jpg

I agree with Hholly, you are an amazing aquatic artist. I'm not sure if you got my comment I left on your profile, can you snag me some pieces of your Fissidens Fontanus and Pogostemon helferi? I have been looking any looking but as you said the moss is hard to find and the helferi is rare so I have had no luck their either.

I agree with Hholly, you are an amazing aquatic artist. I'm not sure if you got my comment I left on your profile, can you snag me some pieces of your Fissidens Fontanus and Pogostemon helferi? I have been looking any looking but as you said the moss is hard to find and the helferi is rare so I have had no luck their either.

Thanks guys! Dan I left a response on my profile page about this. Fissidens is hard to find but Pogostemon helferi is carried by AquariumPlants.com and ExtraPlant. You get a much better deal on it with ExtraPlant. AquariumPlant will charge you for each little piece, and I mean little. With ExtraPlant you get some in a little tub for the same price as the other place that charges by the piece.

I'm a huge fan of Fissidens Fontanus as well, it has a really nice fronding effect when it's done right. It's not carried at most online shippers, but you can usually find it on Aquabid pretty easily. It's worth the effort!

Back
Top Bottom