Best UV Sterilizer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pinda

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am currently thinking about upgrading my tank. I was wondering what would be the best UV sterilizer to buy for a 55 gal.

My first set of fishes died of ick except my flame angel fish. I believe you are suppose to leave the display tank fishless for a month or so but I didnt. My flame angle was there and I added a clownfish a few weeks later. I never had ick again so for some reason, the ick was dieing from something. I do beleive that the UV did it. Who knows.

I have a 9w turbo twist for my 72 Gal tank.

Are you sure it died and not just dormant? ;) UV's can retard population growth, but not decimate it.

I catch all my own fish and swear by my uv sterilizer, I had some ich show up so I bought one and no fish got worse and within a week no more signs and none since for the last few months.

My reason is to kill bacteria and anythig free floating that is dangerous to my fish.

You would also be killing any good bacteria you would want in the tank. My point is that with proper quarantine and husbandry you shouldn't have much disease (unless nutritional) or environmental issues.

Innovator said:
You would also be killing any good bacteria you would want in the tank. My point is that with proper quarantine and husbandry you shouldn't have much disease (unless nutritional) or environmental issues.
My problem is that I dont have space for a quarantine.

I do have a UV (coralife turbo twist) and believe that they are beneficial as far as destroying parasites and algea spores. But they only get rid of what flows through the lighted chamber.

Back
Top Bottom