Best way to get fish to eat new types of food (zucchini)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Radioheadx14

Aquarium Advice Regular
I bought some zucchini for my rainbows but they don't want to eat it. i read somewhere that zucchini is good for rainbows, but mine dont eat it. Are there any good ways to get fish to eat new foods? they peck at it when i put it in but then they dont touch or eat any of it.

Try blanching it for a minute or two before putting it in the tank. Over time they will recognize it as a food source. Don't leave it in the tank for more than 24 hours, it gets slimy and clouds the tank.

I also cut the seeds out of the center, It gives them a ruff spot to pick at and you will have less of a mess in the tank after they start eating it. It may take a few attempts to get them to try it.

Blanching is a good idea. Also, if you happen to buy minced garlic in a jar just rub a small amount of the garlic juice on the zucchini. This should get them going. Garlic is a favourite of fish and is actually very good for them. Most of the premium prepared foods contain garlic.
Vic

Back
Top Bottom