Best way to increase salinity?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LOVEYOURPOOLGUY

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey-
Does anyone have a method for increasing the salinity of the h20 in my tank? Currently ms level is 1.019, and obviously it should be a tad higher. Any help would be appreciated.

Add more salt? Slowly, and premixed with water I would assume.

altho I don't have a SW tank so I can't say for sure.

It here are animals present in the tank, simply add SW for top off, measure each day before top off and switch back to FW when you have reached the desired level ;)

how much salt do i add, for instance do i get a salinity of say 1.025 in a gallon of water and add, the test and repeat? or get a salinity of 1.030 add, test etc. Or do I just add a bunch of salt to a gallon of water and add?

how much salt do i add, for instance do i get a salinity of say 1.025 in a gallon of water and add, the test and repeat? or get a salinity of 1.030 add, test etc. Or do I just add a bunch of salt to a gallon of water and add?

As you top off your evaporated water (I think most do it daily), you would top off with saltwater (1.025) instead of freshwater. I wouldn't recommend letting it change more than .001 a day, so it should take over a week to get it to an ideal salinity.

I agree with Astride. Just add Full strength saltwater (1.025) as your water evaporates. This hobby takes patience. I would make sure that you take AT LEAST 5 days to increase your salinity to the desired level.

IMPORTANT!!! Do you have a Hydrometer or a refractometer? I would invest in the later. IF you dont have one, I would make sure that your Hydrometer is reading correctly. I would compare it to someone who has one. Some of those hydrometers are off a FULL .04!!

Never rely on your equipment as mrrrkva said. I had a hydrometer (swing arm type) that told me my salinity was perfect. One day I decided to take my water to the LFS because my ammonia kept showing a trace and I was sure it was wrong. Well the ammonia was at 0 as I suspected, but my salinity was at 1.030 even though I was sure it was at 1.025. Just for kicks I spent $10.00 on another swing arm and when I got home and remeasured I was still at 1.030. No animals were hurt, but a lesson was learned.

Back
Top Bottom