Best way to kill aiptasia?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

weemanpow3

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have aiptasia in my tank and it's growing out of control. I have hear of people injecting lemon juice into them using a needle. Is this right? I need to do something fast before it gets even worse. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

2hgekg0.jpg
10p524l.jpg

Flame thrower is the preferred method.

Lemon juice, hot water, or kalk paste (best IMO) will kill them if applied correctly.

BUT.... those don't look like aiptasia. I think you have a happy, free hitch-hiker.

HN1 is correct. My first thought was "Those don't look like aiptasia. I think you got some nice Zoas or Palytoas.

Agree that the majority of those don't look like aiptasia. But if they're spreading quick, they're most likely not friendly hitchikers. I thought they kind of had a Majano anemone look to them - which would be dealt with the same as Aiptasia.

They look like palys to me and unlike any majano I've seen. Other than the top circled one in the first pic.

Ok I updated the first post with high quality pictures. The best I can take with my iPhone.

And yes, they are growing quickly, only on that spot/ area of my tank.

Edit: I looked at the Xtalreef site and they say

If you aren't sure if something is aiptasia, poke it with something. If it sucks into the rock, it is likely aiptasia. If it just folds up, it is probably a harmless polyp.

When I poke it, it does suck itself into the rock.

I would be more concern with that bubble algae then what still looks like palytoas. How fast growing are you talking about?
If they came in for free, then it would be best (for peace of mind ) to just remove them.

Last edited:
I havent added anything to my tank for almost 2 years. They stated popping up about a month ago and just keep getting bigger and spreading faster than my zoas. I am going to remove them using a syringe. Whats a safe marine substance to use?

You can use Kalk paste, lemon juice, boiling water, Joe's juice and aiptasia X to name a few that will remove aiptasia. Google it for more on how shoot it in into them.

I use peppermint shrimps, put about 8 in my 90G tank, killed the biggest aptaisia with Joe's juice and the shrimps took care of the rest. I have been aptaisia free for a year now...

I was at my favorite LFS, they have a bargain bin for corals, when I saw something similar poking its head out. It was pretty cool looking. The LFS guy said it was a Majano. I think that is what you are looking at there too. THey also have a big aptasia in the bin. I don't know why they would do that, but I have seen them at other stores. sell more Joe's juice?

when you say Kalk paste, you mean to mix the kalkwasser and water until it forms a paste?

Edit: Are those zoas $10 eagle eyes, or $100 nuclear eagle monter eyes?

Joe's Juice should take care of it. It even comes with it's own syringe. Just dot a little on to the eye of each aiptasia, and they'll shrivel up and disappear.

Back
Top Bottom