best way to raise calcium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sansouci01

Aquarium Advice FINatic
When I first started my Red Sea Max C-130, I used Reef crystals. My calcium level was around 350 or so. Fine for my softies. Since then, I purchased a green birds nest and a duncan so I figured it might be wise to get the calcium level up a bit. I switched over to Red Sea Max Coral pro. It advertises calcium at 450 so I thought I would give it a try. Well, after a month of 20% water changes, my cal is still at 340 to 350. My question is: should I do one big ( say 50% or more ) water change to try and get the cal level up or use a calcium additive to get the cal where I want it then do my regular 20% weekly changes. Or...would a 50% WC even do anything to raise my cal. My parameters are:
temp-78F
Salinity-1.025
cal-340
alk-9.1
mag-1320

I'm using a red sea test kit and recently purchased a Hanna calcium checker. Did the test with both and the red sea was 345 and the Hanna was 351

Id add calcium and see how it depleats in your tank. If you raise back up to 400, how long does it take to go down to 350? If its a few days your calcium is probably being used up some other way. A Duncan and a birds next should be stripping your tank quickly although it should be using calcium for sure.

SPS is usually when people have to dose because water changes aren't enough. If I were you I'd buy some calcium, get your levels up over a week or so and then watch what it does. If its stable then you may just have to supplement a bit with regular water changes, if it drops quick something else is going on. Usually that something else would be calcification in your tank due to low magnesium but you seem to have a fine level of mag. Do you get calcium build up on pumps or anywhere else in your tank?

Hi there have you ever considered buying a calcium reactor which would help keep it at a level you require ,or even try changing your brand of salt which has a higher calcium level.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hello
Animal-chin. No calcium build up on any pumps or anywhere else. Hello Mr.tap water.
Red Sea Coral pro says it has 450ppm calcium @ 1.025 salinity which is what I'm running in my tank.
I tested my parameters last night and then did a 15% WC. My cal was at 355. I will test again this evening and see if the cal went up. If so, I will do a 15% or so WC every day until my cal is at 400 or so and then see how long it takes to go down. I do think dosing is in my future. As for a reactor, would that really be a good thing for my 34 gallon tank? Sounds like another expense...lol

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/members/animal-chin-47799.html

ya for 34 gallons I'd probably just buy some of the pre mixed cacium by red sea or some other company and add some here and there. You don't have the volume for a reactor.

Hi there in that case I would just buy a concentrated calcium product like you was all already thinking of doing and dose daily which I believe you can rise your calcium in your tank a maximum of 20ppm a day until you reach the target you require it would certainly save you time and effort having to do continuous water changes to chase the calcium level you require, and once you've reached the level you want you just have to work out how much you're using daily which can be done by testing on a daily basis for a short time. Good luck.

So...I did another WC Tuesday night and today dosed 10ml of reef foundation A. With the combination of both, my calcium tested 412 this evening. I have read that your magnesium level should be about 3 times more than your calcium. My mag level this evening was 1240 which would be correct...right? If I want my cal to be at 440 or so that means my mag should be around 1320. If magnesium is lower than that should I dose mag as well or wait to see if everything settles out. Don't want to go crazy on dosing if I don't have to..

Hi there you're right in what you're saying about your mag being roughly 3 times the amount of your calcium so will have to top up with the mag, but also you should be trying to match the salt you use so look at the stats on the side of the bucket ,in my opinion it's much better to do it this way which helps keep things nice and stable when doing water changes.

As you notice your magnesium dropped after dosing with calcium. Your alk might have dropped as well. It's what we call the "balancing act". I would leave it that way for now but you need to monitor the calcium. Raise mag only when its time to dose calcium with an alk of 9 dkh.

From what I've gathered this is my understanding of things ,Magnesium only stabilises the other two The more calcium you add The more it pushes down the Kh and the more you increase you kh The more it pushes down the calcium so if you want things in balance you're looking at three times your calcium should equal The total of your magnesium for instance if your calcium is say 450 your magnesium should be 1350 and so on depending on which level you want it to be.
This is just a guideline on how things work . [emoji846]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It takes a lot more Mg than you think if you have a lot of stoney corals. 1350 is the magic number for Mg. You can dose it more aggressively than you can Cal and Alk. But have that Mg level where you want it as you raise Cal and monitor Alk. It makes all the difference in the world having proper Mg.

Back
Top Bottom