Best way to rearrange aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BfishLpond78

Aquarium Advice FINatic
What is the best method to change the arangements/add new pieces to your already existing aquarium? Have small slate structure, volcano bubbler and skull cave, i want to add 4 pieces of Malaysian driftwood to my 55gal. Will i stress the fish too much, should i take them out?

Thank you!

Taking them out would stress them much more than just doing stuff with them in there. I completely re-did my 40 today and the fish seemed happy as ever the whole time.

You can just add it. It'd stress them out even more if you took them out! My fish usually like it, and are very curious about it when I add stuff, so I'd say go for it!

What is the best method to change the arangements/add new pieces to your already existing aquarium? Have small slate structure, volcano bubbler and skull cave, i want to add 4 pieces of Malaysian driftwood to my 55gal. Will i stress the fish too much, should i take them out?

Thank you!

Do what you need to do IME.

I rearrange my goldie tank all the time. I do a PWC and while the level is down move, add, remove what I need/want to and I just keep an eye on my fish to make sure they're not in the way. If they seem to be getting stressed, just take a break and give them time to settle. Some people have completely removed/replaced their substrate with fish in the tank lol.

I agree, taking them out would stress them more than adding things GL!

Thanks everyone for the quick response. This is my first time with driftwood, when I first got it I boiled it for 3 hours and its been soaking for a month. So hopefully I don't wake up to 55gallons of tea!!! Lol. But I did by seachem rechargeable media that I've read help with tannins, either way we'll see, maybe I'll do a thread for people to follow. Thanks again I'll post some before and after pictures

BfishLpond78 said:
Thanks everyone for the quick response. This is my first time with driftwood, when I first got it I boiled it for 3 hours and its been soaking for a month. So hopefully I don't wake up to 55gallons of tea!!! Lol. But I did by seachem rechargeable media that I've read help with tannins, either way we'll see, maybe I'll do a thread for people to follow. Thanks again I'll post some before and after pictures

Tea water may not look good, but it's not bad for fish in reasonable levels.

Before and after pictures with some new additions, let me know what you think.

Attachments

• IMG00166-20110417-1351.jpg
    IMG00166-20110417-1351.jpg
    212.2 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG00173-20110421-2112.jpg
    IMG00173-20110421-2112.jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 89
I have a black background just waiting for it to stay flat, it was rolled up for a little while.

This is with the black background up, wow, what a difference. When i saw someone with the volcano, i had to have it. I mean it's the kid in me. Plus it adds O2 to the water in a cool way. I wish I had a better camera (blackberry) it looks amazing with the lunar LED's on.

Thanks for the compliments!!!

Attachments

• IMG00174-20110421-2144.jpg
    IMG00174-20110421-2144.jpg
    210.8 KB · Views: 76
Thank you very much, my fish love it, they've been swimming around for days now checking everything out. I had some leeching of tannis for a day or two, i guess no matter how much you boil and soak the wood it's gonna get out. But the good news is i had ordered Seachems Purigen and the Seachem "the bag" and just plopped it in the extra space of my HOB filter and it cleared right up in a day. Tank is crystal clear.

Also i am not a fan of my multi-colored gravel, my GF wanted it, i had to let her have something...lol. When i move i'm going to give her the gravel to seed her tank and get the black sand for my own. I heard it really brings out the green in the plants, does anyone recommend a good black sand, company or brand wise?

Back
Top Bottom