Beta Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

akkitten

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a beta in a 1.5gal crushed rock sub, Ammonia .25, PH 7.5, Nitriete 1.0, nitrate 4.0. I would like to add a bottom cleaner to the tank with him. It looks like my ammonia and everything is ok to add something else, any suggestions? Maybe a small cory?

Hey Kitten, You need to get rid of that ammonia and nitrite before adding anything else to that tank. Your nitrates are also at the highest limit before you start experiencing diseases.

The betta will be cramped in the 1.5 itself. It is already too full.

Also, corys are schooling fish, they need to be houses six or more together.

I know its not what you wanted to hear, but it is true.

So ammonia and nitrite need to be a zero? No trace amounts at all? 5 gal tank for beta so he can have a friend, check. So WHEN I cycle the new tank (which I will get this weekend and cycle fishless) what would a good recommendation be for a buddy for him?

That is great you are getting him a 5 gal. tank, he will really appreciate it! As for tank mates about the most you could do is snails or shrimp. bear in mind there is a chance your betta will eat the shrimp.

and yes ammonia and nitrite need to be 0ppm, and nitrate should be less than 20-30ppm

Sadly, ammonia and nitrite are pure poison.

It really makes me mad when LFS stores and some test kits even say its okay to have trace amounts of either. Even if it doesn't kill the fish (and most will die if exposed for too long), it can harm their internal organs and burn the gills and shorten their lifespan even if it doesn't kill them.

What kind of a betta is it?

Some are very good community fish, some are mean and must live alone. Each one is different.

Also, there isn't a whole lot more of a bioload you can keep in a five gallon. If your isn't aggressive, I'd look at an amano shrimp or even a large mystery snail or something of that ilk. Maybe one ADF if you do frequent PWC.

I don't know if he is agressive, he hasn't been near any other fish. Once the other tank is cycled I thought about moving him in with the cherry barbs and guppies. Guess I will leave him where he is for the time being, he just looks so lonely.

I don't know if he is agressive, he hasn't been near any other fish. Once the other tank is cycled I thought about moving him in with the cherry barbs and guppies. Guess I will leave him where he is for the time being, he just looks so lonely.

I would just leave him alone, he will be much happier when he gets the 5 gal. The guppies and barbs would probably be too much for him in a 10 gal. I am not worried so much about what he would do to them but what the barbs and guppies would do to him. Their activity alone could really stress him out.

You never know with a Betta. Some make great community fish, others not.

If you really want to test his temperment, it is okay to put him in the community tank and see how he does. Just do it at a time when you can watch his temperment (and the barbs too, they can be tempermental). If he doesn't try to fight or nip at the other fish, you know he's probably okay with other fish. Just avoid fish with longer fins, like leopard danios or longfin varieties of tetras. Bettas sometimes mistake them for other Bettas and the battles are visious and can end in death.

I have a 5 gallon that I had 2 guppies and a betta, and they guppies were so active he attacked. Now they are in a 55 and he schools with them like he's one of them. I'd agree with everyone else, he'd be a lot better by himself with a snail in that small of a space.

Unless he's like
My sisters who is fine
With fancy guppies and tetras but absolutely hates Snails.. We put in the snails and they came out and it bit off the snails antennae! Took her out put her in my empty ten gallon for a couple days and put her back in... She still attacked.. Luckily I still had my 5 gal. She lives alone in a 5 gallon with a castle and a plant.. She loves it... Lol

Back
Top Bottom