betta and platy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

prettyvacant

Aquarium Advice Activist
About a week ago, I made a post about where I should keep my male betta. People suggested I put him in my 29 gal...but to watch out because the tetras would be aggressive. I had him in the 29 gal for about an hour, and then i noticed his fins were sort of split at the ends (from the tetras, I guess). So, I put him in my QT right away. He has been in there for about 6 days now, and seems to really enjoy it. But I guess I can't leave him in there eh?

Today I went out and bought 1 albino cory, 1 sunset wag platy, and 1 mickey mouse platy. The sunset wag and cory are currently floating in their bag in my 29 gal. The mickey mouse platy I bought is obviously prego...so if she is going to have babies, I don't want her to have them in my 29, because they will be eaten right away.

I want to put her in my QT so if she has the babies, I can find them...hopefully. So I have a few questions:

-Since I have a betta in there, will he eat the babies?

-Will the platy eat them? I have heard different stories about female platies eating their fry, saying some don't and some do. :?

-If it is best to move my betta to somewhere else, where can I put him?

thankyou :D

Ive had experience with this. Had a platy and betta in a small tank. Didnt know the plat was prego.

The platy did not initially eat the fry, but eventually started to.
The betta ate a few too before I pulled them both out. At the time I had just got my 29 so I transferred the betta and the platy into the 29 and was able to successfully raise 3 platy fry who are now swimming like champs in my 37G.

get the mom in the qt , and remove her after fry are out.

I fed them crushed flake food 3 times a day and it worked out well.

oki so what about the betta? leave him in there even though he may eat the fry? should i remove him when the platy has the babies?

thankyou :)

i wouldn't leave the betta in with the fry, I would put him in the 10gal with the danios..

does the shark go after the danios? i know they are agressive to other sharks, but I think maybe put him in and watch the behavior. If it does not look like it's goin to work out , u made need to find a spot for the betta by himself , maybe a another tank :)
or a bowl temporarily, until u can put the fry in the community tank ( i used a breeder net till they were about 2.5 months old, then let them free.. none of the fish bothered them)

yeah my shark is very agressive towards my danios...all the time, but there hasn't been any deaths or injuries so far, and they've been in there together for a while now...

thankyou so much for the help :D

Back
Top Bottom