Betta behavior

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mab2000

Aquarium Advice Activist
Got a new 8 gallon tank for my room. I also got a betta to put in the tank. I also have a ten gallon that has been established since Sept 2011. I used some of large stones and put he biofilter from the ten into the new tank. The betta was fine for a day then when I woke up this morning he was just sitting at the top of the tank. He has been alternating from the top of the tank to sitting on the bottom but really not swimming that much. I am showing 0 Amm, ph 6.8. The tank has a filter and a heater, temp is stable at 78 degrees. Is this shock from going to a small container to a large tank? Is there anything I can do? I have had the lights off all day.

I'm assuming he was in a small container when purchased? Prob unheated? Walk me through how you acclimated him please if you don't mind I think I know what's up with him I just need some more info please.

Were there fish in the 10 gallon? If not, what was keeping your filter safe to use in the 8 gallon.

What are your readings for nitrate and nitrite?

This is not uncommon for Betta's to act like this when going into a new aquarium. Is he in the 8 or 10? If in the 8 did you dechlorinate the water? If so what did you use? The big thing I worry about when I here betta and new tank is chlorine. Most people don't dechlorinate and the fish ends up with gill damage due to chlorine and often dies as a result. Or they do dechlor, but the method used does not remove chloramine.

Ditto on all the above. But also, if he was just in the cup too long, he may be too far gone. Hope not.

I'm assuming he was in a small container when purchased? Prob unheated? Walk me through how you acclimated him please if you don't mind I think I know what's up with him I just need some more info please.

He was in a small container. The way I got him used to the water was I floated the container in the 8 gallon then scooped him out with a net and put him in. I threw the water from the cup out.

There are fish in the 10, it has two filters so I figured it would be okay to remove one while the new tank cycles. My nitrites are 0 and nitrates are between 0 and 20 (I still use test strips, gasp). I retested this morning and all numbers were the same.

I use a water conditioner called Aqueon Water Conditioner. I saw someone else said there is a certain method to adding the conditioner. When I add water I then add the conditioner then plug everything back in.

This morning he was in a new spot, inside the decoration I have for the tank. He seems to be swimming around more so I hope he is getting better.

When you acclimate it's a good idea to add some of your tank water to the water in the cup or bag, slowly to get the fish used to your water pH. It can be a shock otherwise. Hopefully he keeps getting better. Post some pics if you can! We love to see us some Bettas! :)

He was in a small container. The way I got him used to the water was I floated the container in the 8 gallon then scooped him out with a net and put him in. I threw the water from the cup out.

This adjusted him to the water temp, but not the water parameters.

Take note of Holly's suggestion. :)

When you acclimate it's a good idea to add some of your tank water to the water in the cup or bag, slowly to get the fish used to your water pH. It can be a shock otherwise. Hopefully he keeps getting better. Post some pics if you can! We love to see us some Bettas! :)

I usually get my fish locally from established tanks with a similar pH. I really didn't even think about the putrid pH in the stag net cup of water. This makes sense, so I sounds like a probably shocked him pretty good. The only thing was he seemed to be doing fine the first day.

Water changes and more water changes.

Don't think you responded about whether the 10 gallon filter was cycled?

Yep I agree always add water to the new fish bag/cup and take out water as you add more of yours to adjust the fish properly over the course of say 30 minutes of doing this at 5 minute intervals he should be ready to be released. The tank you moved the filter over from has no sick fish in it right?

The 10 gallon is cycled numbers are Amm 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 20. It is a day before I do my weekly water change. The 10 gallon that I have has been running with fish since September. No sick fish or frogs in my 10.

You think a 50% water change would be a good start?

I am not the best photographer but the first picture is when he was moving around this morning. The second picture is later on and he is back to laying on the bottom:(

Attachments

• DSCN0247.jpg
    DSCN0247.jpg
    211.6 KB · Views: 57
  • DSCN0255.jpg
    DSCN0255.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 68
Your high nitrate reading concerns me I think he's in shock. Bettas do rest time to time but not on the bottom like that. Mine is in a planted 10 gallon and he lays on his favorite leaf of my tropica sword plant for his mid day rest but never on the bottom. Another possibility is he picked up something being in that unheated cup too long at the pet shop.

The 20 nitrate is in my 10 gallon. I was a little concerned with this as well because since the 10 has been established (about Nov of last year) the nitrates have never got this high with my weekly water changes. I think it may have to due with taking the bio filter out. I have replaced it and will just keep monitoring the 8 gallon and change the water as needed per water readings. I will start with the 8 gallon and do a 50, and do a 20% in the 10 a day early. I know I am throwing a lot of numbers out for two different tanks, and I am confusing myself, but thanks for all the help and I will keep you posted.

Thanks for clearing that up for me I got confused myself not hard to do lol!! Yeah he should perk up after a few water changes and as far as your ten goes your prob right about the lil spike from removing the filter it should come back down in a short amount of time.

Back
Top Bottom