betta fish dropsy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gingimaru

Aquarium Advice Activist
My betta fish has been off these last few days. everything in the tank is fine (parameters for amonia etc) other fish in the tank are fine. the betta fish however is bloated on her underbellly and is very lathargic. she ate a pea yesterday (i heard that feeding them a small bit of pea may help with constipation as this is what i thought it was) but today is just sat on the bottom of the tank doing nothing. we even got another pea and stuck our finger in the top of the water like we usually would to try entice her to the top and she just sat there doing nothing which is very unlike her. my partner has also just said that she has noticed a couple of the scales near the top of the fish are slightly sticking out which is apprently one of the first signs of dropsy. she started looking a little bloated some time last week so we stopped feeding the fish to try help and have since had to put some food in to feed the other fish as they need to eat and she managed to nab a couple of the pellets. since then she just looks bloated. the pics i've seen tend to show their bellies as being quite round but hers is odd shaped as such. its round but not perfectly. anyone have any ideas as to how to help? or is it the final curtain call for our betta?

Sounds like dropsy. Can you post a picture of your betta?

apologies for not getting back to you. the betta died within a few days of this post :( we buried it in the back garden.... we do now however have a male betta. all testing is fine (ammonia, nitrates etc) so hopefully should be ok.

I'm sorry for your loss.

I just would like you to confirm what you think of as "fine" with regard to your water parameters. Thanks.

Fine as in:
Ammo 0ppm
trites 0ppm
trates 10-20ppm
ph 7.4-7.6

they sound good dont they?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom