Betta Fish Flaring at nothing, all the time.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yratra

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey Guys, i've just started a 30 Litre Fresh water Aquarium (Sorry from australia) don't know how many gallons that is, think its 5.

It has 9 Neon Tetras (Babies), 2 Sucker fish (1 albino and one bristle nose (Babies)) and one beautiful silver blue Betta Male (dont know how old, but when i got him, he was active and inquisitive)

And the Betta is constantly flaring at the back of the tank, i got him 2 weeks ago and he didnt eat for a week or move much, last week he became a normal betta, but now all of a sudden he flares at something at the back of the tank.

Information is as follows

I got the tank, Filled water in it, with declorinator. left it filtering for a day.
Got Black aquarium sand, a hollow plastic log thing and a driftwood piece with real plant grown around it, left it for another 1 day.

After that i put three guppies in it to cycle it for 10 weeks. they were tough guppies, all went good. and i coaxed them to sleep buy putting them in a container of clove oil and then adding alcohol to that container(that makes them fall asleep and they dont wake up....made me sad, but no one would take them of me (i hope i dont offend anyone by this)) i burried them under one of my gardenia bush to fertilise it. and erected a stick of recognition to make sure there not forgoten..... and then added, 2 sucker fish. let it cycle until water was perfect again, then got 9 neons (repeated the process) and now the betta ( all parameters of the water are checked. PH is between 6.8 - 7.2, ammonia/nitrate and nitrite are all at the lowest level. i have a heater which stays on 27 degrees celcius, the thermometer is the furthest away to make sure the whole tank is warmed. i have a background for the tank as well. No light is on the tank, i am 4 meters from the window, so the natural light should be enough.

I feed them once a day at 7am in the morning, all of them eating (flakes).
Every 6 days i fast them, and every 7th day i give them a treat like blood worms. and the week starts again.

I do water changes every week (about 25%) i suck it out with the gravel cleaner. and i dechlorinate the water in a bucket and let it get to room temprature before adding it. and i also add it slowly as to not disturb them and alittle at a time.

I keep the filter on low coz the fish like it that way, they swim more. and they still have enough oxygen. (they never gasp for air)

The betta ignores the suckers (basically sits next to them with out anyone being the wiser). and doesn't mind the neons at all. they even feel comfortable swimming really close to him. He normally sleeps wedged between to leaf stems and frequently sits in his cave (hollow log) with his head poking out, and swims alot.

So after all this lately he has just started getting angry at the back (backgrounded) window. could there be a reason for this? wether im in the room or not..... is there anything iv'e missed (ps he hasnt started making a bubble nest yet)

oh and i added a teaspoon of aquarium salt as that (ive heard) helps to resist infection and at the same time not to much to hurt the neons

sorry if this was a long post (and sorry if its in the wrong thread) im just new to this

Any help would be greatly appreciated

thanx in advance for the help

Im learning how to take care of a small tank, next year im planning to fill the huge aquarium with fish that ive got sitting in my garage, provided i can take care of these 12 fish.

For a 5 gal, thats kind of overstocked.
The same thing happens to my Bettas when I had introduced them into my 10 gal. They would go the top right corner (very back of tank) and started flaring 'at I don't know what at'. I have a backdrop taped on the outside of the tank.
I came to the conclusion that they must have just seen their reflection and flared. This went on more than a day but a few days later the Bettas were being a normal betta again too.

I have a betta and they are very odd. Mine will quite often flare at nothing but presume it is his own reflection. Btw you have a lot of fish there for a small tank

thanx, it must be overstocked, should i remove the neons? and is there a better way then having to put them to sleep? i just thought it must be better to take out the neons, because having not enough of them will get them sressed so better to remove the whole group?

Hi!
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/guide-to-starting-a-freshwater-aquarium-186089.html
Please read this.
You tank is quite over stocked. It is 8 US gallons. You need to rehome the two 'sucker' fish. Depending what they are they need an 80L tank or more. IMO you can get away with 6 of the neons in the 30L tank but ideally they need 40L or more. Do NOT put fish to sleep if you can not care for them. The majority of fish stores take trade ins or adoptions.
As for the Betta flaring it is normal when first introduced to a new tank.

thanx for everyones answers, i transferred them all to a 55 Gal Tank, they are alot happier, now the bettas fins are very spread and swims alot and doesnt flare at anything. and the others are happier too.

The betta is (was) possibly flaring at his own reflection. Same thing was happening to me with a new betta we got this afternoon and placed him in a simple 1.5g square tank. I'm not sure exactly what the betta sees, but at certain angles, you can get a clear reflection of the 'other' betta.

Back
Top Bottom