Betta fish help I'm new!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PVHUYNH

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I think my betta fish has fin rot and I'm not sure what to do. He has looked like this for the past few months but he is acting fine..I have a 10 gallon tank with a heater and filter .. Can someone help me also how do I post new breads on to the others and add pictures to show what my betta looks like.

Heya!

After ten posts you are allowed to post pictures.

With bettas, fin rot is almost ALWAYS due to poor water quality. How often are you doing water changes? Are you using water conditioner when you add new water?

Bettas also like a temp of 78-80 degrees.

Yup I have he heater at that temperature. I usually change the water every 3 weeks since it's filtered. But I am currently using a treatment called Maracunbteo made by mardel. He is looking a little bit better bit not much.

PVHUYNH said:
Yup I have he heater at that temperature. I usually change the water every 3 weeks since it's filtered. But I am currently using a treatment called Maracunbteo made by mardel. He is looking a little bit better bit not much.

Do u have a test kit? Since he's getting fin Rot it means ur water parameters ain't good. Did u do fishless cycle? I recommend u to do s pwc everyweek.

Yeah. Esp. if he is a halfmoon betta... they seem to be super finicky about sparkle clean water. 3 weeks is not often enough.

The current treatment controls septicemia, bacterial fin and tail rot and cotton wool disease in tetras. I have just finished the medication I was a 1 week thing. Each day to put in this powder

Finrot is more like opportunistic bacteria than any true "disease" so meds can be kind of overkill and might not even help... You mostly need to get to the root of the problem to make it not keep coming back. Usually it has to do with the water not being clean enough.

PVHUYNH said:
Ok awesome thanks. :) and also he's a crown tail betta

It seems like u dunno what fishless cycle is. Do u know what nitrogen cycle is? It basically bacteria converting harmful ammonia into nitrite (less toxic then ammonia but still bad) then into nitrate! Nitrate is the less toxic and we get rid of that via pwc.

Back
Top Bottom