Betta Fish Not Very Active

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NewToFish1989

Aquarium Advice Activist
Not sure is this is just Betta behaviour. But I've had my Betta for about 3 months in a cycled 50 litre aquarium and he lives with 4 cory cats which he ignores. But the last month, he doesn't swim that much anymore. Only time he moves is to get air and to eat and either floats in one corner of the tank or rests on the ground.

Water parameters are

Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 10-20ppm (change 30% a week)
Temperature: 79-80F

And feed once a day.

Cory cats are fine and playing together, just wondering about the betta

I just lost my Beta to dropsy. He was very active and then started to not swim much, wouldn't eat, and then his fins got the pine cone look. They stuck out from his body. Keep an eye on him. My research said there was no cure. Some Beta's are just naturally lazy. Hopefully that is all it is.

Sounds silly, but he could be depressed. My betta was acting the same way until I got him some tank mates. Since your betta has some activity in his tank, try rearranging the decor, or adding some new plants. Sometime you just need a change of scenery!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I agree my betta was got very lazy and was always laying in his cave didn't come out hardly at all. He also has a cory cat play mate (and yes they do play together). I decided to put some live plants in his tank and now he is constantly exploring:)

Sent from my Xoom using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yay! That's awesome to hear :)

I purchased an Anubias nana from petsmart and he loves to lay on the leaves plus its a low light plant that doesn't need much IME

Yeah I have a couple anubias, they're really easy plants and great for bettas. If you float it, the love to use it like a hammock and chill at the top of the tank.

I'm glad it was an easy solution to making your betta happy again :)

Thanks me too:) I'm still thinking about getting him some tank mates what did you go with?

Honestly, I wouldn't if he seems happy. I did some neon tetras, African dwarf frogs, and kuhli loaches. He loved them at first, but gradually became aggressive toward the neons. The frogs and kuhlis we're never a problem. Eventually I tried putting some cories in with him after I moved the kuhlis to a bigger tank, and he tried attacking them immediately. Your betta may be fine with some sort of tetra or minnow, but if you want to add more tank mates, I'd go with an African dwarf frog or snail to be on the safe side

Honestly, I wouldn't if he seems happy. I did some neon tetras, African dwarf frogs, and kuhli loaches. He loved them at first, but gradually became aggressive toward the neons. The frogs and kuhlis we're never a problem. Eventually I tried putting some cories in with him after I moved the kuhlis to a bigger tank, and he tried attacking them immediately. Your betta may be fine with some sort of tetra or minnow, but if you want to add more tank mates, I'd go with an African dwarf frog or snail to be on the safe side

Ok thanks I was wanting to try neons after my plants grew to be considered a heavily planted tank I also need to get my cory a buddy. Any idea if Cory's and ADF are good tank mates? I have snails he loves them he'll lounge on my big ones when they're on the side of my tank lol :D

Neons need 20 gallons as they are very active fish, so I would probably avoid them and go for more cories instead. Cories need to be in groups of at least five anyway, so if you want to add more definitely get more cories so that yours doesn't get stressed out being alone. Also I'm pretty sure cories and dwarf frogs make good tank mates. They are both bottom dollars but they are also both peaceful. I'm planning on putting them together when I redo my 10 gal.

Back
Top Bottom