Betta flashing, is it ich?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Finian

Aquarium Advice Regular
My sister was jealous of my female betta tank and got one for herself. She bought the bettas from pet smart (where I usually get mine) and one of them is flashing. Its a new tank and everything, five gallons. She hasn't shown spots yet, so I'm not sure if its ich or not. The other two bettas are fine. She is very active and happy. The tank has been up for two days and we are doing daily changes at 25%.
Thanks for the help and Merry Christmas and a happy new year!

My sister was jealous of my female betta tank and got one for herself. She bought the bettas from pet smart (where I usually get mine) and one of them is flashing. Its a new tank and everything, five gallons. She hasn't shown spots yet, so I'm not sure if its ich or not. The other two bettas are fine. She is very active and happy. The tank has been up for two days and we are doing daily changes at 25%.
Thanks for the help and Merry Christmas and a happy new year!

Hey there, merry Xmass.

So 3 female betas in a 5 gall tank if I read correctly? Did the filter get seeded from your tank or anything?

Is she flashing on the body or near the gills. On both sides? Are fins clamped? Eating normally?

Have you got readings for ammonia?

No ammonia, I suppose because of the daily water changes. The tank has some gravel in it from my main tank (all healthy fish, been there for three months). The filter is new, so no bacteria on it.
We are using water conditioner from Walmart but I did recently buy Prime for the main tank. Would that help if it's the water bothering her?

Oh she is flashing on both I believe but I'm not sure. She is very active and happy, swimming all the time and eating good. When we bought her the water in her cup was blue so I dont know if that means she was just received from shipping so the water was bad, not sure. We will do another ammonia test tonight and I'll let ya guys know how it comes.
Oh and I believe she is scratching her Gil's from what it looks like.

Well, could be something in the water specs that is irritating. I'd check the whole lot just in case - ph, ammonia, nitrite, etc. I assume a liquid test?

Is the flashing constant or more at meals or after a water change? Any pattern? Nothing else with the fish, are fins all normal? No marks, red dots or bumps on scales? Breathing and swimming normal to other fish?

Prime should take care of any heavy metals, etc and your other fish seem fine. I've never heard of a bad reaction to it.

Have you checked your tap (?) water that you use for changes for ph, ammonia, etc? Assuming the tap water is fine, I'd increase the pwc to 40-50% which in general will help and keep ammonia in check.

It does seem odd, if the pet store had this fish in blue-coloured water, was the water different to other fish tanks? Could they have been treating the fish?

Next up I'd look at a salt treatment or salt bath in a separate tank which also shouldn't make the problem worse but could help if there are parasites in the gills.

She does it randomly, I Havent noticed more after water changes or meals. We have well water, so its biggest problem is it is hard and the pH is high. Ive had bettas for years and never had them reach badly to it, though Ive started treating the water now. Her fins are fine and I Havent noticed any spots or sores. :/ and yes, I use the api liquid tests.

Nothing like an unhappy fish :(

You could see if settles down after a day or two and see what ammonia is tonight. If no good, look at a salt bath to try. Any thoughts on the blue water?

I read somewhere that the blue water is what they are shipped in, and that is has some kind of sedating stuff so they don't stress out.

She seems to be fine. We did a big water change yesterday and she hasn't scratched at all :)

I do. We went back to pet smart for a plant and saw bettas that were there the sane day I got her and they were still in blue water, with lots of waste at the bottom. I'm afraid they are being neglected due to the holidays.

Back
Top Bottom