Betta floating sideways?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Celarii

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Well I just meant to stop by the store to maybe pick up some plants for my new tank and each time I go I like to check on the bettas they have. Against my better judgment I brought home this little girl because she was floating at the surface sideways and trying to straighten out. I am not prepared at all and I really regret this but I felt bad for her. I know it's wrong to basically support these places. I'm just hoping I can make things a bit better than a small plastic cup. Her right side is very distended and she ends up tilted with that side up. Right now she seems to be okay and is still in the cup because I'm not sure where to put her. She's not floating anymore but swimming along the bottom. I have a 2.5 gallon my male betta is in and two nights ago I filled up my new 10 gallon. I'm not sure what to do right now. I had been told to move my male into my 10 gallon and cycle it with him in there. That would leave the 2.5 free for her? Her scales aren't sticking out like it would be bloat, is she just fat?

Attachments

• 20200203_175833.jpg
    20200203_175833.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 26
  • 20200203_175718.jpg
    20200203_175718.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 26
  • 20200203_180212.jpg
    20200203_180212.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 39
Just put her in a bigger cup with clean water and tested the ammonia levels of her store cup. I've never seen a reading higher than 0 so it was either 4.0 or 8.0. She struggled to eat one pellet because it was too big for her mouth but she got half. She seems to be doing okay in cleaner water now.

I would move the male into the 10g and give her the 2.5g. She could just have been overfed at the store, some of the bettas I've come home with were fat.

I did just that and she perked up real fast. She had alot of fun exploring all her new plants. If she is fat that would be amazing compared to anything else!

I did just that and she perked up real fast. She had alot of fun exploring all her new plants. If she is fat that would be amazing compared to anything else!
Hello, try feeding her frozen peas. Boiled, deshelled & broken into pieces she can eat.
This will keep her from getting swimming issues. I feed mine 2-3xwk. Hope this helps!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom