betta help :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ch0psticks

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I know there are many threads about ich/ick, but my situation seems to be a little different. I accidentally bought a betta fish before the tank, so he's in a half/three-fourths of a gallon tank for now whereas the four gallon tank is cycling. I wasn't sure if he had velvet--cuz he kinda had it when I got him--but after he came down with ich, I was pretty sure he had it. I've been treating him with Aquarisol for a week and two days and he seems to be getting worse. He seems to be freaking out now. I can't put a heater in since the bowl is too small, so is there a way to treat ich besides the heat treatment?

Any advise would be wonderful. I don't want my fish to die~~he's my baby :(

Can you put the betta in the 4 gallon tank now? What is it cycling with - pure ammonia or a rotting shrimp? Those are excellent ways to cycle a tank. If the ammonia level is high, do a large water change before adding the betta. I know you want to finish the cycle first and that's the best way to start a tank - but if the betta is getting worse in the bowl, you may have no choice. When you say the betta is "freaking out", he may be stressed by the medicine. Bettas have a labyrinth organ behind their gills that allows them to take in oxygen from the air. Did you ever see a betta go up to the surface of the water and "breathe"? He is filling his labyrinth organ. The labyrinth organ can become irritated due to medications.

Heat treatment is best for ich as you know, and also in this case where meds seem to be stressing the betta. I would put the betta in the tank now (after a water change to get rid of any ammonia that you're cycling with). Take the shrimp out too if you're using one. Put a 25-watt heater in the tank and bump it up one degree every 6 hours until you reach 87-88 degrees.

The tank can cycle with the betta in there. You'll have to do more water changes than usual since the tank hasn't finished cycling, but with one betta in 4 gallons of water, the ammonia shouldn't get that high that fast. Daily water changes are a good idea too, when you're battling ich. It helps to remove the ich parasite from the water.

Back
Top Bottom