Betta Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NinjaNomad196

Aquarium Advice Freak
I definitely don't want to screw up stocking my tank, so I've done research this time. So I'm planning on getting a 10 gallon tank with a female betta sorority of 7 bettas. Other than a filter, heater, gravel, and plants/decor, what else do I need? Oh yes, I also have a tap water dechlorinator and cleaner and I have ich/ parasite medicine. What do they eat, how often do they eat, and any other NECESSITIES? Also, could I add some shrimp with this?:confused:

A 10 is a bit small for a sorority in my opinion, but people do it. I wouldn't do 7 of them for sure. Maybe 5 at the most. A 10 just doesn't have space for each of them to have a small territory, and they would probably overstock the tank bioload wise as well. I have a sorority of 9 in a 56 gallon tank and there are some minor scuffles on a daily basis. I once had 6 in a 20 gallon and they all killed each other within three weeks.

I feed my bettas hikari betta gold pellets, omega one super color flakes, frozen bloodworms, frozen brine shrimp, and occasional shrimp pellets. I feed once daily, sometimes twice when I am conditioning them for breeding. And I would't recommend shrimp, it is pretty likely they will get eaten.

I definitely don't want to screw up stocking my tank, so I've done research this time. So I'm planning on getting a 10 gallon tank with a female betta sorority of 7 bettas. Other than a filter, heater, gravel, and plants/decor, what else do I need? Oh yes, I also have a tap water dechlorinator and cleaner and I have ich/ parasite medicine. What do they eat, how often do they eat, and any other NECESSITIES? Also, could I add some shrimp with this?:confused:

Make sure you cycle the tank

Thanks

A 10 is a bit small for a sorority in my opinion, but people do it. I wouldn't do 7 of them for sure. Maybe 5 at the most. A 10 just doesn't have space for each of them to have a small territory, and they would probably overstock the tank bioload wise as well. I have a sorority of 9 in a 56 gallon tank and there are some minor scuffles on a daily basis. I once had 6 in a 20 gallon and they all killed each other within three weeks.

I feed my bettas hikari betta gold pellets, omega one super color flakes, frozen bloodworms, frozen brine shrimp, and occasional shrimp pellets. I feed once daily, sometimes twice when I am conditioning them for breeding. And I would't recommend shrimp, it is pretty likely they will get eaten.

I will not breed, so one feeding. Thanks for the food ideas. Also, thanks, I don't want to murder shrimp.

Last edited:
Wouldnt attempt a sorority in a 10 gallon. 15g is the minimum IMO. You are going to have problems. 7 is also too many, stick with 5. I really wouldn't suggest attempting this as a beginner.

Instead of a sorority, why not do a small community tank with one female?

Guys

My mom doesn't like how female bettas look, so we're going to get some livebearing fish most likely. But thanks for the tips!

NinjaNomad196 said:
My mom doesn't like how female bettas look, so we're going to get some livebearing fish most likely. But thanks for the tips!

That's probably a better plan anyway. A 10 is a bit small for a sorority. Livebearers are much less likely to kill each other. Plus you will most likely get babies!

eh...

@Alyxx, we are getting all males because we don't want babies and we're beginners and just aren't ready for breeding fish. I am just hoping to get it soon. My platy has been stuck in 1 gallon for 3 and 1/2 weeks and needs more space. Also my mom might keep my platy in a 1 gallon, because he murdered 2 platy so far and we can't trust him... :(:(:(

Last edited:
NinjaNomad196 said:
@Alyxx, we are getting all males because we don't want babies and we're beginners and just aren't ready for breeding fish. I am just hoping to get it soon. My platy has been stuck in 1 gallon for 3 and 1/2 weeks and needs more space. Also my mom might keep my platy in a 1 gallon, because he murdered 2 platy so far and we can't trust him... :(:(:(

All males is a good plan. That will keep them from overpopulating the tank. Are you sure the platy killed the others? Seems more likely that the bad conditions in the 1 gallon killed the other two. Or the cramped space made him more territorial. He really needs a bigger tank. Honestly they need about 20 gallons but I know you said you don't have room for a tank that big. I would move him to the 10 and maybe add some guppies or endlers - smaller livebearers - instead of large ones like mollies or platies.

Back
Top Bottom