Betta in Platy Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Noah0504

Aquarium Advice Regular
So, right now I have two tanks: a 5 gallon housing 1 betta and a 29 gallon planted tank with 5 platys.

I've seen several people successfully house a betta in a community tank, but I know all cases are unique.

I would ideally like to move the betta to the larger tank as it would be a little easier keeping up with one tank, especially as I sometimes run into issues with the 5 gallon trying to grow algae on me.

Anyway, if I decided to try and see how he would make it in a world with other fish, what would be the best method to move him? Should he just go in and then I keep an eye on him? Or should I see what he does when I acclimate him to the tank? There is plenty of space in the tank, along with a lot of hiding places because of the plants and fake wood in it.

Good question. I've been thinking of moving my betta in with my platy (1 of each), I just haven't had the time yet. I've had another betta in a community tank and he was severely fin nipped (got him that way). When I separated him I was shocked how much his fins grew out. Anyway I know it can be done but really depends on the temperament of the betta.
I'm going to follow along and see what others replies are. :)

If you want to try it, just put him into the larger tank. Keep his existing small tank cycled in case it doesn't work and you have to return him to it.

Don't forget to give it time. Any time you add a new fish to an existing tank, the fish have to establish the hierarchy all over again. It's natural for them to be curious about the other species in the tank. But do watch the tank carefully. I wouldn't let my guard down at all. If the betta is young, as he matures, his behavior could change. There are lots of variables when you risk this.

Well, I'll mull it over I guess. I don't want any of my fish to stress out, but I would like to eliminate some of the upkeep and also create a tank I can use for quarantining if needed.

If I decide to go for it, I'll right back and let you know how it worked out.

i just recently moved my beta into my 29 gallon community tank it has tetras rasboras cory cats and platies they all get along fine no signs of stress hes a very happy beta now.

i just recently moved my beta into my 29 gallon community tank it has tetras rasboras cory cats and platies they all get along fine no signs of stress hes a very happy beta now.
I've read quite a few success stories about them in a community tank now. This morning I cleaned his tank again as I battle a tiny algae problem. I may end up moving him, but I'm going to at least let the larger tank run a little longer.

He seems like a pretty tranquil and shy fish. He never seems to mind when my hand is in the tank when I'm cleaning. In fact, he come around sometimes to check me out. You never know what will happen when there is other fish though, so I guess I'll just wait and see.

Back
Top Bottom