Betta like a cat with a mouse. Prized Cherry Shrimp slain!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

steele22

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I drop into a small privately owned aquarium and fish/plant shop every few months for advice on things the big and chain retailers cant satisfy me with because they dont know, are too busy? Or want you to try something just to get your cash. This shop is so cool as the owner is a little eccentric and doesn't suffer fools. Certainly you question the delivery of your query! 3 weeks later and his strategy for fixing my blue green algae problem paid dividends, after googling and asking at other shops led me to believe it was just unheard of in melbourne Australia. Whilst he prepared his product to help my problem my 9 year old picked out a little male beta that stood out as an active and stunning looking fish. I asked the guru if he would be ok with a few red cherry shrimp in a planted 20l aquarium, as the last beta that just died was fine with them. He said, 'he's a baby, he won't even look at them'. 3 days later the new 'baby' was parading my prized 2.5cm cherry red female's head in his mouth, swimming around with his trophy like he was showing me how good he was. He's now nailed 4 poor little buggers, and chomps them straight down. Shovels down zucchini like it was the last food on earth too. Was the guru taking the pee out of me, or do you think the odd beta is just a terminator?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I wouldn't ever put a betta with shrimp in the first place. It really depends on the personality of the individual fish. I'd say he wasn't trying to rip you off, just talking from what he's experienced. I'd get the betta out ASAP before he takes out any more. Also, what was your solution for the algae?

The solution was a chalky substance that made the wster go yellow and murky. Blocked the light for 3 days at first treatment time. When i took the covers off it took 24hrs for the water to then become ctystal clear. Slight yellow tinge still, like a tannin, but the bacteria is ansolutely gone, touch wood! So glad that slime is no longer covering my plant leaves, gravel and glass. Plant leaves look so normal now. Green and lush.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Can't blame the betta :) he has to check out the colorful blobs moving around his tank! Colorful shrimp are a chance with bettas and many fish other than bettas would take the same opportunity to gobble one up.

Caleb

Its a fish's personality that decides it. I mean, you yourself said you had one that lived with them. You cant say he was trying to rip you off or anything there is basically no way he could've known that the Betta was a Shrimp killa!!

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom