Betta not eating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SushiRoll

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have had this betta for about 3 months and just in the last 4 or 5 days he's stopped eating. All he does is spit the pellets out. I've tried giving him blanched peas and he ate those but I don't know if that's ok to give him as a meal, I also tried giving him freeze dried blood worms but he'll just suck in those and spit them out. All advice is welcome!

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

I have had this betta for about 3 months and just in the last 4 or 5 days he's stopped eating. All he does is spit the pellets out. I've tried giving him blanched peas and he ate those but I don't know if that's ok to give him as a meal, I also tried giving him freeze dried blood worms but he'll just suck in those and spit them out. All advice is welcome!

We can't help without more information about your set up. Is he in a bowl? a tank? is it heated? filtered? water parameters etc?

If all that is fine it could just be a picky betta and you could try some things to stimulate the appetite, but you need to ensure that he isn't getting sick or telling you something is wrong with his water first

Oops lol totally forgot the parameters PH = 7.8 it's always been this high I don't know why though because another tank is the same size and I set it up almost at the same time but it is like 7.0 ammonia = 0ppm he is the only living thing in a heated 10g I change 10% of the water every week and the filter is a HOB Aqueon bio wheel for a 10g he just randomly stopped eating one day. He seemed to love his pellets then he just stopped eating them ?
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424711943.086111.jpg

check nitrates.

what pellets are you feeding him, might be worth trying to use a smaller pellet, or NLS therma-a... him spitting them out is an attempt at "chewing" as far as i know.

He used to eat them just fine and I've even tried to look for smaller pellets in he little jar I have ? I have Aqueon betta food here's a pic of the pellets ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424712798.556321.jpg he ate the fine for like 3 months it's just this past week that he won't eat them and he'll eat bigger pieces of pea. I don't have a test for nitrates but I just did a water change yesterday.

Well you could get a nitrate test or just increase the water changes, just in case.

Could also try soaking the pellets for a minute or two before feeding. Sometimes my betta spits them out a bunch of times before finally eating them, i think he's just waiting for them to soften up

Ok I'll try soaking them right now.

He didn't even put it in his mouth ?

If that doesn't help I would monitor closely for any other signs of illness and increase the frequency of water changes. Also, double check your temperature. Any chance the heater is going? cooler water will decrease their appetite.

Oh and I heard someone say one time their betta would eat the pellets once crushed... Maybe he's just getting tired of working so hard for dinner? Or he's bored with the pellets. Even when mine stopped eating for a bit I could always tempt him with a frozen bloodworm. Not good for every day, but good to change things up occasionally.

You said there was 0ppm ammonia, do you have a nitrite test? If not perhaps you could take a sample to the fish store and have them test it? Perhaps something was changed in your source water? Does he seem better or worse after a water change?

He doesn't seem any different after a water change I only have ammonia and ph but I am going to get an api master test kit soon but I don't think it has much to do with the water because my other tanks everyone is just fine. Also does a 15% water change twice a week sound good?

He doesn't seem any different after a water change I only have ammonia and ph but I am going to get an api master test kit soon but I don't think it has much to do with the water because my other tanks everyone is just fine. Also does a 15% water change twice a week sound good?

As long as you're not overfeeding it's probably more than enough. I'd definitely suggest having a fish store test your water to make sure nitrites are 0. Then you can also check to see that nitrates are low and confirm that your water change schedule is sufficient. What water conditioner do you use? Hopefully something that will deal with chlorine/chloramines and heavy metals just in case something in your source water has changed?

It's really not uncommon for Betta's to be picky eaters and dried pellets every day can be both boring and risky to their swim bladder. I'd try to get some either live or frozen food to try. A varied diet is key to these guys and they do love hunting.

I bought a flightless fruit fly culture for my fish at my local petsmart and they go absolutely bonkers for it. And you can keep the culture going indefinitely by making your own fruit fly media.

Maybe he's going on strike lol. I fed him a 3 week old guppy fry just the other day so I'll get some other stuff. I'm going to buy the Api master test kit so soon I can just test the water myself.

Maybe he's going on strike lol. I fed him a 3 week old guppy fry just the other day so I'll get some other stuff. I'm going to buy the Api master test kit so soon I can just test the water myself.

There's the problem. You gave him the 'good stuff' and now he knows what he's missing :p Hope that's it!

There's the problem. You gave him the 'good stuff' and now he knows what he's missing :p Hope that's it!

I doubt that would be it. more likely the fry had a parasite or infection which the BETTA could have

op maybe upload some pics of your fish

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I doubt that would be it. more likely the fry had a parasite or infection which the BETTA could have

op maybe upload some pics of your fish

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hmm maybe but gave my other fish some of the fry and all the fry were in the same tank ? and they are all doing good. I'll get some pics in the mourning.

Hmm maybe but gave my other fish some of the fry and all the fry were in the same tank ? and they are all doing good. I'll get some pics in the mourning.

Like I said, Betta food strikes are not that uncommon... so i'd try a couple different foods before you get too worried!

Ok here's a pic of my betta. He doesn't look bad. Would betta flakes be good? I could go buy some of those. If those aren't good any other food I could try? ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424791491.140484.jpg maybe I could get flightless fruit flies but I don't know how my mom would feel about that ?

My mom suggested frozen squid would that be ok? We have some out in the freezer.

My mom suggested frozen squid would that be ok? We have some out in the freezer.

That would be fine. any fresh or frozen fish should be fine in small amounts.

They usually don't like flakes, in general though.

Back
Top Bottom