Betta out of water for hours. OMG!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

venymae

Aquarium Advice Addict
When I woke up this morning Pretty-Fish was in her tank (8am). We left around 10am ran errands and came home at 12:30. Pretty-Fish was NOT in the tank when I peaked in. I tipped over every hiding decor, even took the HOB off to look. No Fish. Finally started looking around the base of the tank, including in the basket of books that lives on the bottom shelf. No fish. Then I noticed my sons little bag for books. I picked it up, unfolded it and "SHREIIIIIK!" there was Pretty-Fish. She started flopping as soon as I unveiled her. I immediately dumped her into the tank, where she sank to the bottom, still alive, and sat there. I turned off the lights and covered the tank with a towel to give total darkness.
WHAT DO I DO NOW!?!?!?!
Has anyone's bettas ever experienced this? Is she going to make it?? I feel horrid, because I'm pretty sure she didn't jump (tank is very well covered except for small hole for HOB) which means I have some teaching to do with my son... :( :( :(

She will most likely be just fine. I've had fish jump in the middle of the night and found them outside the tank in the morning dried-up and not breathing. I put them back in the tank and whatcha know, they slowly came back to life and are still fine a couple of years later. LOL I've forgotten what it's like to have young children.

Oh dear! The biggest threat will be skin infections if the slime coat truly dried out. Keep her water pristine and use a good dechlorinator that helps protect the slime coat while she grows a new one. AquaSafe Plus is a good one for that (by Tetra brands). Good luck.

Oh no! She is really in need of some serious TLC right now! Wishing her the best! Fish kisses :)

Bettas are amazingly tough troopers :) They're specifically adapted to survive in regions where water levels widely vary and puddles can dry out from underneath them. As long as she doesn't catch any infections while her slime coat regrows (as mentioned earlier), she should make it.

Back
Top Bottom