Betta question....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lonewolfblue

Aquarium Advice Addict
How do you gain a betta's interest? My red one is eating just fine, but the blue one still hides, and has no interest. It hidea up behind the HOB. Should I remove the HOB and have a non-filtered tank like my 5.5G is? It's only circulation is from an air wand, as well as the plants.

How large is the tank and what is the filter's return like? Bettas don't like a lot of flow. Could that be why it's hiding out behind the filter?

It's a 10G tank, with a Whisper 5-15. Not a lot of flow, there's more flow where he is, but if he went to the right side of the tank, there's minimal flow. The only reason for the filter is I'm running CO2 to the HOB intake.

Edit:
Removed the 25W CF's and put in 2 15W CF GE bulbs from Walmart. They are 6500k bulbs. Will see if the lower lighting will help, not sure if it was just too bright for the betta.

Hmm, a betta in a 10 gallon should be swimming around happy and active. The flow from that filter is definately not too much. Maybe its the lighting, or maybe he's sick.

I think he just doesn't like me, lol. I put in a few freeze-dried bloodworms, since they float, and I moved away to my sofa. After a little bit, he came up and ate them. But when I move to the tank to feed a little more, he goes back under the large sword and hides, then up to the filter. At least I know he's eating now. Just doesn't like me, lol.

Now for the red betta, when I come near the tank, he comes front and center, lol. He knows I got something for him, lol.

He's probably still adjusting to the new tank. Can you scoot the filter over to the other side (where he isn't hanging out)? Bettas can handle some flow and I know that filter is adjustable, so I don't think thats a big problem.

Have you tried frozen bloodworms or live foods? Maybe squirt some near where he is hanging out to see if he'll eat them. I've found that some Bettas need a little time to settle in. Usually they all come around though, even if they have a shy personality. My old betta has gotten more shy as he's gotten older....could be the 2 tank moves he's had, but he hides alot now. Usually though, when I put flakes in the tank, he'll see them float by and grab a bite wherever he's hiding in the tank.

Good luck!

Actually, it's not adjustable. No way to adjust the flow. And it's the only opening in the back of the hood. Would have to remove the hood to move it.

your using the walmart tank huh? you can cut the flow a bit by blocking off some of the intake.

I have a blue betta in the same tank, same filter, I only have one lght it, a 10k 20 watt CF, the betta stays on the dark side of the tank except for food. but he rarely hides

i know bettas like little caves and hidey holes - maybe he would feel more secure if there was more cover in the tank?

I would, but there's not a lot of room in the tank. The sword is huge, and he's found the perfect leaf to hide under. Really seems to like it. Also, he's starting to come out a little. He won't eat when I'm there, but if I drop food in and go sit on the couch, he'll come out and eat. Which is a good thing. But he is starting to come out more when I'm around, hopefully he'll get over the shyness.

Just give him some time Wolf. Each betta has a different personality. My betta has a 10 gal to himself as well, it took him a week to come up and greet me at the tank and eat.

How often should I feed them, lol. I'm getting different views from different sources. One says to feed small amounts 2-3 times daily, and other sites say only feed them 2-3 days a week.

I feed like 2-3 pellets twice a day, if they start to look too skinny, I up the feeding a bit, if food isnt being eaten...well that not a problem, I have an apple snail in the tank who doesnt get any other suplemental feeding, so he gets algae, deritus, and left over betta food.

10 gal tank with a filter and a betta. I like to hear that, I have mine in a 10 gal with 3 cories, 3 otos, and a bamboo shrimp, and I frequently hear from people that see him that he's much more active than other bettas they've seen (in bowls or smaller tanks)

I feed my bettas five pellets a day (Ocean Nutrition betta pellets). Once a week, instead of pellets, I feed 4-5 freeze-dried bloodworms. I feed small pieces of a pea on Saturdays to aid in bloat/constipation prevention, and then on Sundays I don't feed them. It gives their digestive system a rest to fast for a day.

I feed all my critters 2x a day.
Yep, give your betta time to adjust. He has a whole new world now, not just a tiny bowl. You already see that he is coming around a bit more. Just give him a bit more time. And as he gets to know you, and associate you with yummy blood worms..... well I'm sure soon we will be hearing stories how he jumps up to get them from your fingers *as mine do*.
Happy betta parenting. :)

Back
Top Bottom