betta sick help please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok i understand that im not a walmart buyer for fish but felt bad for him. The only thing im confused about it how do you know how hold he is?

I am assuming he is about as old as my fish was from the photo. I went through a long process nursing my betta back to health after buying him from a pet smart. I didn't know most of his tail was missing and he had fin damage and curling on his other fins because he still looked healthy and beautiful to me. Months later he has a tail almost 3x as long, but his fins are still fried in places. He came to me with internal parasites and pop-eye, which I treated successfully. My boyfriend's betta was not as lucky, we bought them the same day.

Here is the link to the source of my assumption that your fish was perhaps not an ideal candidate for breeding: UltimateBettas
Search for the sticky: "Before you breed your pet-store betta" in the "First time breeding & spawn logs" forum

I am not sure what the rules are for re-posting info on this forum so mods please let me know if I should link to this otherwise, but here is the specific passage, attributed to "elise" on UB.com

Most, if not all of us, got our first betta from a pet store. They are beautiful fish and have great personalities... why not breed him/her? In fact, there are many reasons why this is often not a good idea. Here are some things to consider before you breed your fish.
  • Many bettas sold in pet stores (usually just the males, but sometimes the females too) are either past or at their breeding prime. After the age of about one year, the risk of deformities and/or weak fry increases. How long have you had the bettas you want to breed? If they were 6-12 months of age (like most males are in pet stores) when you first got them, how old are they now?
  • The genetic background of pet store bettas cannot be known (besides the obvious based on their appearance). Pet stores bettas come from mass-producers/suppliers (unless yours is an exceptional mom-and-pop place and gets fish from private breeders which is usually not the case) so they are not at all carefully bred. What if your bettas carry genes that result in many deformed fry? Are you prepared to deal with this?
  • One spawn can and often does result in hundreds of betta fry. Are you prepared to raise that many babies to adulthood? Do you have live food, a big enough growout tank, and enough jars if at least half of them are male?
  • Pet store fish (namely veiltails and crowntails) are not, by any means, in great demand. Many pet stores' shelves are filled with bettas rotting in their little cups because they get more in than people buy. People are usually not willing to pay to have pet store fish shipped to them, so you will need to find homes locally. Selling to pet stores is not recommended because this is just contributing to the "betta-in-a-cup" industry that we all know and hate. Do you know enough people to give your fry to? Or do you live near a good pet store to give them to? Do you trust this pet store with your babies, and are you willing to chance what kind of homes they end up in?
There are many places to get a good quality pair for breeding. Look in the classifieds here on UB, and on aquabid.com. If you do not have the means of getting a pair from a breeder, I suggest that you hold off on breeding bettas until you can... it will be worth it! :)

Attachments

• photo(2).JPG
    photo(2).JPG
    126 KB · Views: 59
  • photo(24).jpg
    photo(24).jpg
    249.7 KB · Views: 52
  • image-243246754.jpg
    image-243246754.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 57
I love your bettas colors!!! I completly understand the breeding thing. I didnt think of it that way so thank you. I prolly would found out in my research but you saved me some time n reading and i still got educated :) so thank you. How long have you had your betta. Heres a pic of my other male

Thank you, I fell in love with his white-rimmed fins that are so cute flapping about.

Your fish has gorgeous colors too! What a tail, looks like a full half-moon. My guy is a "super-delta", just a few degrees short of a complete half moon. :)

ForumRunner_20121106_185024.jpg

ForumRunner_20121106_185036.jpg

Heres him tonight his lower fins are coming back! Yay. He's eating great and swimming like a champ enjoying his home :)and is quite sociable ( sry for the smugges on glass i always seem to drip water durring water changes my hubby said hes gunna put plastic tarps under all my tanks lol)

Back
Top Bottom