Betta sick?!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That water conditioner is probably better than nothing. When it runs out, get Prime. Don't feel bad. You're here, doing something about it. :)

I looked up proper acclimation techniques on YouTube and have now acclimated the guppies into the 5gal with the gourami. They seem to be doing just fine. They have piqued the gourami's interest and he has been checking them out. He hasn't tried to eat them yet so that is good!

Also- king Neptune the betta fish is hanging in there. I can't tell if he is less bloated, but when I get close to his bowl he swims away with much vigor. Still keeping an eye on him and I'm going to check the fish store for a larger small tank that would be more suitable. Hopefully I can find something decent.

That's what I have heard. The pet store didn't have any in stock, just the paper strips. I may have to order it off the Internet. I'll have to shop around. I'm going to take a water sample to the pet store to be tested (they use the paper strips) today since I will be driving right by it today. I'm also going to look into getting that Prime water conditioner.

Hholly said:
The test kit is way cheaper on Amazon.com.

It is! The pet store said when they have it in stock its $37.99. It's only $24 on amazon, and that includes shipping. So I'll be ordering from there.

At petco they had a 1 gallon aquarium with an airstone on sale for 40% off because the lid was missing. I'd still like to get something bigger but king Neptune will be happier in this tank. His bowl was 1/2 gallon. He seems to be doing a little better today.

He's still bloated and I haven't fed him since the day before yesterday. I've read that it's very easy to over feed and they will eat until they die. So I'm not feeding him until his stomach shrinks!

It's good you haven't fed him :) A good guide is their stomach is about the size of their eye. I feed my bettas 2-3 pellets a day 5-6 times a week. Any more than that and I find they become bloated. Especially the two I have in community tanks. They are greedy little piggies. :)
Try feeding him a small bit of cooked pea. Peas are like laxatives for fish.

I'm pleased to tell you guys that King Neptune the betta fish is doing really good!! His tummy is much less bloated and he is enjoying his larger tank. He's been swimming all over the place! Thank you all for your advice and caring. :) I'm still going to get him a larger tank with a filter and heater but at least he's better off then he was 2 days ago.

Thought I would update this thread.

King Neptune is all recovered from his bloat. I moved him into the 5 gallon and he loves it!

His color has brightened and his fins shimmer when he swims.

Back
Top Bottom