Betta trouble...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Darb21

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
We recently got him and after having him in a small bowl for a month (100% water changes 2x a week) he stopped moving and eating, so went and got a 2.5 gallon tank for him and he still isnt recovering. His balance seems way off, falls over on his side, and sits on the floor, face forward like this:

img_606611_0_e58d31e77d9277d7a0592957c4c9934c.jpg

He's on his 3rd day without any food (won't come to surface, won't take it in front of him), and doesn't come to the surface for air any more. Seems to be working his gills REALLY hard.

Any ideas?

Try changing out 25% of the water or so at a time, daily. My guess is that he is suffering from ammonia poisoning and possibly some stress from moving tanks and such. Also, pick up an antibiotic such as Maracyn-Two from the LFS and treat. If he swims abnormally, it is likely a swim bladder problem that was bought on either from poor water quality, stress/shock, or a bacterial infection.

A water test kit would help immensely as well. If you don't have one, take it to the store and get it tested.

HTH :)

Actually went to the LFS today looking for Maracyn 2, but they just had the Maracyn, so I went ahead and got that... am dosing that now... will do a 25% PWC tomorrow immediately preceeding another dosage tomorrow. He does seem to be more active this evening... I actually did see him go up for a breath just a minute ago, so thats a brighter note. I was thinking swim bladder problem too because of his balance issue....

So hes on a full 3 days without eating... how long can they go without?

Oh, and I do have a test kit... his water shows VERY little if any ammonia after 30 hours in this tank. Regardless, I will still do the water change tomorrow.

3 days is fine. I'd start worrying if it goes on past 7 days.

Hope the little guy pulls through.

Any word on a test kit? Can you get your water tested at the store?

I think I edited that post at the same time you were entering yours! :lol:

Darb21 said:
Oh, and I do have a test kit... his water shows VERY little if any ammonia after 30 hours in this tank. Regardless, I will still do the water change tomorrow.

He is looking better again this morning... seems to have more control over his body, so we may be getting somewhere! He's still staying at the bottom today, but hes hovering like a fish should, not actually laying on the gravel. He's still a little wobbly, but does have better control over his body.

Will test ammonia, do a 25% PWC (more if needed), and redose the Maracyn this afternoon.

Will keep you posted! Have a great weekend!

Oops. Hehe. Glad to see he is perking up!

Yes, I'd do a water change every few days to keep ammonia down. Is he showing any interest in food yet? If not, just make sure you remove the food he doesn't eat.

Good luck!

OK, now he seems like he's having a blast! He's 100% in control of his body again, and seems to be enjoying life again. He's swimmin all over the place and actually likes to hang out under the filter output in the down current. He's really enjoying the fern that I put in there. gives him some good cover to hide in/under... then just a few moments ago I caught him right smack dab in the middle of the fern, just chillin there! :)

img_607491_0_d7566c9c13d04dec764f1896b0faffc1.jpg

Night and day difference in the last 36 hours. Things are looking good for this little guy! :D

He still doesn't seem to interested in food, but I think thats coming back too. He looks up and watches it... just doesnt go for it yet... He's definitely on the right path!

Great to see that last pic! :)

One time, a new betta that I got didn't eat for 7 days. Usually my new bettas eat within 3 days, but sometimes one gets picky, so don't worry just yet that he hasn't eaten for a few days. What are you feeding him? I soak dry food (Hikari Betta food) in some tank water in a little cup for about 2 minutes. The food absorbs the water in the cup and then doesn't expand in their stomach and cause bloat. That (bloat) doesn't look like what happened to your little guy but it's something to keep in mind. I also soak freeze-dried bloodworms in some tank water too, but not as long - maybe 15 seconds.

PS. Is that a plastic plant? Be careful that there are no sharp edges on it that could tear his fins. Silk plants are better for a betta.

UPDATE

So he made it through with flying colors...

img_610519_0_3e19b0bc3b468fb4c9d26ab3766e20f9.jpg

img_610519_1_7309699569c50318f767b739ba59428b.jpg

He is as active as I've ever seen him. So active that it took me a good 15 minutes to get these 2 shots. Seems to be liking his new home a lot!

Thanks for the thoughts everyone!

Oh, and thats actually a live plant... so no worries on the plastic plants! Now if I can just keep that plant alive! Hah!

Have a good week everyone!

Back
Top Bottom