betta vs African dwarf frog

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smomus

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 10g divided tank. On one side I have a male betta and 2adf, the other has a female betta and 2adf. They mostly ignore each other and live together well, until feeding time. I feed the bettas first, just a couple betta pellets then I feed the adf some frog food. One day a week I feed blood worms, another I feed some peas.
My problem is that because the frogs are slower, the betta always gets the food first. The male isn't so bad, he will eat a little but leaves some for the frogs. The female however does not know when to stop! She eats everything I put in for her AND for the frogs. She bloats up huge! I worried about her health so then I feed her side of the tank less but then I worry that the frogs don't get enough. I see my options at this point as:
1) putting all the frogs on the male side
2) taking the frogs out to feed at night.
Option 1 seems the most logical, but I feel like this would overwhelm the male. So, before I do this, does anyone have any other ideas?
Please and thank you!

Although there really is no great solution, option 1 is probably best. I had 1 neon tetra that was eating all the food and so I took the skinny one and put him in a fishbowl full of tank water temporarily. The tetra wasn't interested in the food as much as his new surroundings so he didn't eat. It might be overload for the male bettato put 4 frogsnon his side, but I think its a better idea. If it seems like the male Betta and/or the frogs are getting stressed you might HAVE to resort to option 2.

Thank you for your reply. And information. I guess another option would be to put the female in another tank. I wish she would just chill lol

Do you feed the frog food with a syringe? That can help, but it's not uncommon for frogs to be outcompeted even then. So, you could try it, but ultimately, I am guessing you may have to move the frog over to the male's side of the tank. Afd are social anyways and like hanging out in groups. You could move the tank divider over just slightly so the male's side is a bit bigger than the female's side.

absolutangel04 said:
Do you feed the frog food with a syringe? That can help, but it's not uncommon for frogs to be outcompeted even then. So, you could try it, but ultimately, I am guessing you may have to move the frog over to the male's side of the tank. Afd are social anyways and like hanging out in groups. You could move the tank divider over just slightly so the male's side is a bit bigger than the female's side.

I do. I have smashed it some, let it sit in tank water for 5 or so minutes, suck it into a turkey baster then put it on some small plates that are in the tank. The frogs have learned where to get food because I feed them in the same place each time.
Tonight however I really smashed the food. Made it into more of a paste. Soaked it for a few minutes then fed it. The frogs went crazy and the female betta seemed clueless. Now, 10 minutes later the frogs have had their fill and moved on and the betta is just now realizing she missed out. Hopefully this will work more often!

Back
Top Bottom