Betta vs corydora panda

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dezcookies

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I have a school of 6 corydora panda's in my fish tank and a single male betta fighting fish. Overnight I noticed all 3 of the long fin and 1 short fin betta had their tailed ripped off. Some have next to nothing now. I only just put them all in one tank yeaterday and i had work today so i didn't see this morning but after 36 hours (when I got back from work) I saw the damage. Could it be fighting between pandas or is it the betta? Previously I had only 2 short fin panda and they were fine with the panda. Long fin panda was the latests addition. Any ideas? I've relocated the betta.

Betta are infamous for attacking fish with longer fins, of any species. Anything that looks remotely as though it might be another Betta, is likely to get attacked. Though some Bettas are surprisingly peaceful in temperament, most of them are not.

Keep the damaged cories separate and they should regrow the fins with some time and very clean water.

cory vs betta

Bettas are very territoral.How big is your tank?If you have a mini tank,only 1 betta should be kept.No other fish with him.Otherwise you should have a 10 gal. or larger.A golden rule is....An inch of fish for every gallon of water.Be sure to consider the adult size.

Betta are infamous for attacking fish with longer fins, of any species. Anything that looks remotely as though it might be another Betta, is likely to get attacked. Though some Bettas are surprisingly peaceful in temperament, most of them are not.

Keep the damaged cories separate and they should regrow the fins with some time and very clean water.
I have the opposite experience actually. Bettas tend to be some of the most peaceful fish ive ever owned as long as there isn't something flashy in the tank with him. This greatly depends upon individual temperament, while most bettas will do fine with corys, some just hate other fish. There really isn't much you can do to change them.
Bettas are very territoral.How big is your tank?If you have a mini tank,only 1 betta should be kept.No other fish with him.Otherwise you should have a 10 gal. or larger.A golden rule is....An inch of fish for every gallon of water.Be sure to consider the adult size.
The inch per gallon rule is outdated and honestly useless. It dates back to the times before filters were invented and refuses to die. Nowadays, tank stocking is based on fish temperament and bio load.

That sounds like way too much fish for the tank. It's no surprise somebody got territorial.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

That sounds like way too much fish for the tank. It's no surprise somebody got territorial.

Thats not necessarily true. I've kept a school of 6 cory cats and 6 cardinal tetras with a few different bettas for over a year in a 10g
How long does it take for the fins to grow back?
A couple weeks probably
Well I took out the betta so is the tank okay for 6 corydora? They all seem to Be okay now I guess.
Highly debated, personally i say yes but others will disagree.

The end has come. I am sad to say all 3 nipped fish have passed away. Thank you for all those who tried to help even though my fish couldn't pull through the damage that they had suffered.

Sorry they didn't make it.

And sorry I was unclear. My assumption was the betta got territorial with that many cories in the tank. Bettas can be really good community fish but in a small tank with a large school of something else, not so much, according to our LFS that keeps bettas with cories a lot.

Sorry to hear the fish didn't make it. That sucks. But it would have taken months for the fins to regrow, most likely.

Betta are lovely fishes, but I prefer to keep them alone, because there is no way to be certain that they will get along with other critters. I know lots of people keep a shrimp or dwarf frog or some other fish with a Betta and get away with it, but there are no guarantees.

So I moved the betta to a 35 gal and over night I lost more fish. The betta had weird coloration on the fins and body. A couple of my baby mollies died in the breeding cage. Is this an infection of some sort? ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1415608664.103274.jpg

I can't quite tell what I'm looking at. It does look bad, sorry to say. Maybe he was nippy because he didn't feel well.

Could you go to the "read before posting" sticky and post all the info it asks for?

Sounds like over crowding is going on. I would separate the fish all together, get the ich under control, then start the process of moving some fish back in. For the time being, keep the betta out of the with other fish in your group until the issues are resolved.

Back
Top Bottom