Betta with fin rot - could too much current contribute to the problem?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

libertybelle

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey all,

Thanks for reading. Pardon the long post but I wanted to cover the basics thoroughly. I have a Betta with fin rot and while I do know the basics of how to deal with it and where it comes from I wanted to talk to people with some more experience about the causes in my specific case.

About 6 months ago I bought an adult male Betta quarantined him and then slowly introduced him to my main tank. He turned out to be very docile and so I left him as a community betta.

The tank is a 30G, specs are in my about me but in summary; it is a fully stocked (105% according to aqadvisor) planted tank with several small schools of small fish. They are all quite peaceful and occupy different levels of the tank. There are no fin-nippers or personality conflicts amongst them that I've ever seen. There is a lot of plant cover and a couple floating betta decor pieces where he can rest in away from the flow.

Tank is heated to 76-78 degrees. It gets 50% water changes every 1-2 weeks. They eat tropical flake and fruit flies. Ammonia/nitrites are always zero and even when I occasionally slack off on the water changes I've never seen nitrates above 20, possibly due to all the plants.

So this last week I've been pretty stressed out so I wasn't paying a lot of attention to the tank. To my surprise when I finally got around to checking things out I discovered my betta had developed a moderate case of fin rot. He was still swimming around but his color had faded a bit, he had obvious fin loss and a bit of fuzz on the end - he just didn't look good. Obviously I realize that fin rot generally indicates water quality problems or fin nipping but it doesn't seem like either is a problem in my case.

I have also noticed that the over filtration can be a little much for the betta in this tank. I have an ac70 on the tank as well as a small 10G internal that I keep in there so I can quickly set up a quarantine tank if needed. The ac70 is turned to its lowest flow but there are areas in the tank the betta avoids because of the current.

Do you guys think it's probable that he incurred some damage getting pushed around in the current, or perhaps is just getting exhausted by fighting the current and that's causing him to have a lowered immune system?

I acclimated him to fresh clean water in a 5 gal. I moved some established filter media over into the built in filter of the 5 (instead of moving the whole 10G internal filter) so the flow would be slower. I treated with melafix and stress guard because that is what I had on hand (yes, I know to be very careful about the dosage of melafix with bettas)

I would welcome any comments on either issue:
1) do you think the cause could be related to having to fight the current all the time
2) Should I go out and get antibiotics or fungal medication or just see how he does with no tank mates, clean water and low flow for a while?

Thanks in advance!

I might be wrong, but I think fin rot is a bacterial thing, so it wouldn't be the current. Although bettas do appreciate less current. This will probably help with treating it. Fin Rot 101 - Betta Splendid

Thanks for your response. You're right, Fin rot is indeed caused by bacteria. I know the current wouldn't cause it. In the same way dirty water doesn't technically cause it. My question was more... do people think that the stress of fighting the current could have made him more susceptible to a bacterial infection? Or if people think it's something else... secret fin nipper perhaps? i don't know

I know most people keep their Beta's in small tanks, so does anyone else have experience with keeping them in larger community tanks? Can they usually get used to the current as long as they have places to rest or am I just stressing him out?

Interesting link, I've seen that suggestion. I've also seen forums saying salt is a waste of time and just stresses out the fish. Is there a consensus on aquarium advice on the subject?

Current will not cause fin rot; however, as you stated, stress can lower a fish's resistance to bacteria. Many bettas have been in bred to acheive certain looks, and this makes them susceptible to disease. Lowering your betta's stress will help with any treatment that you decide to give him.

Obsession is a matter of opinion

It could also be fin nipping. Are there other fish in the tank that could be chasing him and biting his fins. But to cure fin rot keep the water pristine and I used a stress coat water conditioner when one of my fish's fins were severely nipped so it should help your fish grow back his fins.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Post a pic of him

Sorry about the poor lighting but the light is blocked by java moss on part of the tank.

His color is still poor though he still wants to eat. He's eaten a couple bloodworms but his mobility isn't great on those tattered fins.

I did another major water change today (75% - shouldn't be too stressful for him because I acclimated him to almost 100% new water just friday...) I bought some fungus guard (tetra) and treated the quarantine tank with that as well as stress guard.

There's still a little fuzz on the end of his tail.

Attachments

• IMG_1458.jpg
    IMG_1458.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 82
I've never seen any fin nipping. The neons and glowlights and are always buried in the plants. They're older fish, what's left of schools from when I first started the tank, so they're not very active. They never really interact with the betta. The only other fish in the tank are endlers / harlequin rasboras and otos. None of which I've ever seen bother the betta or vice versa.

Anyone have any reason to think there might be some fin nipping between those species when I'm not looking?

What about salt. I've been nervous to add it because it seems like it's controversial whether it does any good for fin rot

I've never used salt so I'm not sure

Sent from inside my fish tank

Thanks for the link, I have read that page.

I've opted against the salt because the research I've done doesn't suggest it would be helpful. I've treated with the fungus guard which according to the (not very helpful) label is both an anti fungal and an antibacterial.

Now generally I would just do lots of water changes but from what I've read you're supposed to leave the fungus guard in for 4 days before doing a partial water change. I'd rather not wait that long since I know clean water is the key to dealing with fin rot...

Does anyone know, can I just do water changes as normal and treat the new water with an appropriate dosage of the fungus guard?

How is it looking

How is it looking

Cottony growth is completely gone from the tip of his tail. Though of course it's still tattered. Whatever the growth was, the fungus guard seems to have knocked it out pretty quickly.

He's eating and moving with more ease tonight. Which is good because he looks skinnier than I'd noticed in the big tank. I thought he was eating the same omega one flake and occasssional live food as my other fish but perhaps he was eating it then spitting it out. Or just having trouble competing with the rasboras. This will give him a good chance to get fattened up a bit too.

If he continues on his current trajectory I think he'll heal up quite nicely. Then I just have to decide if he can go back into the big tank or not. I think that might be a younger bettas playground. Now that he's probably past a year old he might be ready to retire to the low flow 5 gallon

Back
Top Bottom